Talk

Advanced search

EDINBURGH! pubs with fun kids play area?

(30 Posts)
sunshine185 Mon 30-Jun-08 17:37:26

hi, does anyone know of any good pubs or restaurants in edinburgh that have a good indoor or outdoor play area for toddlers?

trying to find a venue to meet friends also with toddler in august that will let us adults chill and the boys play!

thanks

MadamAnt Mon 30-Jun-08 17:40:18

<<lurk>>

expatinscotland Mon 30-Jun-08 17:42:25

hopefully someone will know. space is at a real premium in edinburgh, so there aren't many pubs that have any sort of garden at all.

there's one hotel across from the pizza hut in stockbridge that had an outdoor area, but not really a play area as such.

the brewer's fayre in silverknowes may have one, but i'm not sure.

i never encountered a pub with an indoor play area whilst living there, but then, only went to pubs as a rare treat and aimed for no kids ones.

SirDigbyChickenCaesar Mon 30-Jun-08 17:42:30

<ditto>

expatinscotland Mon 30-Jun-08 17:49:20

i think scottish laws regarding licensed premises and children might be different from English ones.

we encountered a lot of pubs that were no kids at all.

expatinscotland Mon 30-Jun-08 17:54:54

there's a brewer's fayre in West Lothian somewhere that had a cracking outdoor play area. it was on the way to the Dog's Trust.

no indoor one, though.

sunshine185 Mon 30-Jun-08 17:57:54

thanks girls for the replies! i'm actually from edinburgh, but been in london 9 years and have little experience of edinburgh with toddlers apart from when i was one many moons ago!

i know Lauriston Castle and Gardens has a brewyers fayre restaurant nearby that has a small kids play area which is okay... just thought there might be others?

Pruners Mon 30-Jun-08 17:59:01

Message withdrawn

expatinscotland Mon 30-Jun-08 18:02:08

yeah, the lauriston castle one is the one i'm thinking of. the one in west lothian is also a brewer's fayre and it did have a nice, designated outdoor play area, can't for the life of me remember the name of the hamlet except, 'on the way to dog's trust on the left hand side'. tricky to get into, but still good. the only thing is having to drive to it means more than a pint is probably out for the driver sad.

aGalChangedHerName Mon 30-Jun-08 18:03:16

I am in West Lothian. There is one (think the one Expat means) play area is good and you can sit in garden.Does yummy carvery lunch very cheap too.

Janos Mon 30-Jun-08 18:08:23

Brewers Fayre in Silverknowes (Lauriston Farm) is very good, taken DS there a few times. they have a decent outside play area and the food is pretty nice. Very child friendly.

Time Twisters in the Sighthill Industrial Estate is a good soft play place that does decent food so you could try there. Its very popular though, especially at holidays/weekends.

rookiemater Mon 30-Jun-08 19:34:24

There is the Brewers Fayre just before the Forth Road Bridge, I think it has an outdoor area. I think there is one near Ocean terminal as well, but I live on the other side of town so in Edinburgh terms it might as well be on the moon.

There is the Bridge Inn in Ratho that apparently has a play area outside, but it was raining when we went so I couldn't swear to it.

We go to The Stables near Morton Hall a lot, it has an outdoor courtyard with tables, and if you bring some toys then you can have a (semi) relaxed (one course) meal.

Broodymomma Mon 30-Jun-08 20:16:55

Pearces Bar at the top of elm row is very kiddy focused now. Has a play section and a range of Hipp Organix stuff for the kids.

sunshine185 Thu 03-Jul-08 15:57:36

brill thank you ladies!

mawbroon Thu 03-Jul-08 16:21:11

Pearces is great, ds loves it there!

Also Reds in Portobello has a softplay inside

geordieminx Thu 03-Jul-08 16:30:49

time twisters is great if you can face soft play - food reaaly good although obviously no vino sad

Feefster Fri 11-Jul-08 14:03:14

Not strictly a pub, more of a cafe, but is licensed - The Storytelling Centre in Royal Mile (centre of Edinburgh) is a good bet - there's a big open space next to the cafe with a Storytelling Wall with lots of stuff to look at. You can sit and have a drink or food and keep an eye out for what the kids are up to, and the staff are exceptionally tolerant! My two (1 and nearly 4) both love it.

Travellerintime Sun 13-Jul-08 22:21:06

Haven't been to it, but keep meaning to - Gabbro at the Salisbury Hotel on Salisbury Road has an outdoor climbing area and walled garden.

I'd recommend Reds in Portobello too.

kerryk Mon 14-Jul-08 10:50:51

we have been to the brewers fayre at leith a few times but i was not very impressed. the play area always stinks of wee and the couple of times we have been there have been loads of new staff who dont seem to have any training.

the one in dunfermline is much better but it depends if you are willing to travel that bit further.

Balthamos Mon 14-Jul-08 23:54:20

another vote for Pearces at the top of Leith walk. The staff are lovely and helpful and it is clean and the food is YUM too! Great wedges

babycat Wed 16-Jul-08 16:19:49

Watching this thread with interest. Taking DD 18m to Edinburgh next month. 1st time we've been since having her & a bit unsure how it's going to be. We usually camp at Morton Hall and then get a bus into the city for the fringe festival and go to pubs and cafes for lunch in between shows. Storytelling Centre sounds good so will probably try that out smile.

Tamz77 Wed 16-Jul-08 21:46:17

Timetwisters is a soft play centre with a cafe, rather than a restaurant with a soft play area. Food is v.good (award-winning, in fact), expensive place to spend an afternoon though.

Brewer's Fayre at Silverknowes has an outdoor play area, it's quite old and tatty though.

Brewer's Fayre at Newhaven is a proper pub/restaurant and has a separate, huge soft play area. They don't chase the kids out after an hour either, I go there with friends and we usually spend the whole afternoon blush, what with wine, coffee and food.

For a lunchtime the Botanic Gardens has a cafe serving hot and cold food and if it's sunny enough to eat outside, the kids can run about on the grass.

liath Wed 16-Jul-08 22:13:49

Gabbro isn't bad - there's outdoor seating with some kids play equipment and the children's menu was good when we went.

kerryk Wed 16-Jul-08 23:00:31

i seen another brewers fayre place while out yesterday, just off the bypass near herriott watt uni. sorry its a bit vague but someone might know something about it.

MmeLindt Wed 16-Jul-08 23:08:53

This is great, we are off to Edinburgh on Friday and will try out Pearces, it looks good. Thanks for the tip!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now