Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook

Find out more

My 2 year old won't wear clothes. Help.

(14 Posts)
logic Sat 29-Jan-05 19:59:04

My otherwise adorable 2 year old son is going through a phase where he is refusing to get dressed or wear clothes. He can also strip off an entire outfit including nappy in under a minute. Obviously, this is making life really difficult especially as I'm 6 months pregnant and can't do much about it. Bribery and threats are completely ineffective. Please can someone tell me that a) their child does it too, b) it's a short lived phase and c) i'll laugh about this one day.

hatstand Sat 29-Jan-05 20:02:22

my two have never been all that keen on clothes and still strip off given half a chance - I don't know when, but at some stage they began to suss that it was ok at home but not in public. He'll get it sooner or later, don't worry

logic Sat 29-Jan-05 20:12:20

If he is in public and has lots of distraction then he doesn't seem to mind being dressed but it's taking me ages to get out in the morning and it's leaving me shaken and exhausted before I get anywhere!

starlover Sun 30-Jan-05 09:32:16

it IS a phase, and he WILL grow out of it.
and you will definitely laugh about it one day!

I used to work for a lady with 6 kids, and when number 5 was small he used to do the same thing, even in public!
She was once in sainsburys with him and he began to strip... she let him carry on rather than risk the public temper tantrum, and by the time they reached the checkout he was just wearing his wellies! (it was the middle of winter at the time!)
His mum was pregnant with number 6 at the time, and the checkout lady said
"oh don't worry, he'll grow out of it once he has some company to play with"

... mum didn't mention he already had 4 older brothers to play with already!!!!

logic Sun 30-Jan-05 19:00:56

rofl at your story starlover! I feel much better now...

Twiglett Sun 30-Jan-05 20:03:47

a) their child does it too

my DS did it too (currently aged nearly 4 he strips off to t-shirt and pants as soon as he's in the house, but that took ages to teach him to keep his pants on)

b) its a short-lived phase

ummm .. well I suppose in the scheme of things it is short-lived

c) i'll laugh about this one day

you should be laughing about it now logic, its really funny

I still laugh at DS sometimes (especially when his mates come round and strip off their trousers too <guffaw>)

logic Mon 31-Jan-05 11:01:10

thanks, twiglett...

Anyone else?

misdee Mon 31-Jan-05 11:03:49

my kids both did it. mieows dd2 is still doing it. its a shock if i go round there and she has clothes on.

Wallace Tue 01-Feb-05 20:39:29

T that age dd used insist on wearing just a vest on her top half (during the winter - by summer she had progressed to big thick woolly jumpers!). She would let me put a jacket on her,but as soon as we went anywhere, like a cafe or MIL's then the jacket would come off and she would parade around in her vest. We got a few strange looks and MIL made lots of hints about wrapping up warm.

I did find it was best just to let her choose what she wanted to wear because that means fewer batttles to wear you down! However I'm not sure what you can do if he wants to wear nothing...apart from take lots of photos to embarrass him when he is a teenager

logic Wed 02-Feb-05 10:55:36

Fantastic idea Wallace!
Thanks everyone.

hana Wed 02-Feb-05 11:07:12

oh logic! you have my sympathies. In the later stages of my pregnancy my dd ( 3) was stripping off to go to the toilet......she KNEW I couldn't do anything about it and thought it was a great game! Now that her little sister is here she continues to do it....I just go along with it now 'cause it's easier and hope we can laugh about it one day. I did worry for a while that she would want to do it at preschool and when she was at other houses, but so far it's just in the safety and comfort of her own home!
good luck!

motherinferior Wed 02-Feb-05 11:09:16

Take lots of pictures, and tell yourself how much you will remind him of this when he is 15 and trying to be Cool.

bloss Wed 02-Feb-05 11:11:30

Message withdrawn

lolliepops Wed 02-Feb-05 11:38:11

my dd is 20mts and has been doing this for a little while now. she goes to nursary while i work andd the other day i went to pick her up and they told me how she had hid in a corner removed all of her clothers and ran through the room laughing! as soon as she walks into a house she shouts untill you take her coat off then she takes the rest off automatically. sometimes through the night she has woke up shouting when i go into her room she has nothing on |(no nappie!)at all and is purple. so i got a new grow bag one with the zip in a different place but she has now figured this out! i give up. the only thing that does worry me is the fact that somedays her lips hands and feet are purple and she wont keep anything on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now