Talk

Advanced search

6 yr old wont wipe his bum

(45 Posts)
suzun Wed 25-Jun-08 16:15:22

How can i get my 6 yr old to wipe his bum.

He just will not even try.

Maybe i should have encouraged him a lot earlier but now its becoming a problem.

Any advice welcome.

s xx

maidamess Wed 25-Jun-08 16:17:04

My 7 year old won't wipe his bum either. Takes too much time.

And apparently he's always had 'an angel poo', my dh's term for a poo that snaps off so cleanly it doesn't need a wipe.

maidamess Wed 25-Jun-08 16:17:32

How about some moist wipes instead of dry loo roll?

Doodle2U Wed 25-Jun-08 16:18:01

My 7 year old does but TBH, it's a bit hit/miss/smear.

Buda Wed 25-Jun-08 16:18:40

Mine is the same. Sigh.

He is almost 7. He can do it but not very well. I do it at home but he manages when at someone's house. Doesn't seem to poo at school!

So - no advice but will be interested in replies!

maidamess Wed 25-Jun-08 16:19:57

Is this a boy thing, do we think?

My BIL used to yell (aged 8) 'FINISHED!!!' to my MIL who would come scampering up the stairs and duly wipe his bum.

morethanyoubargainfor Wed 25-Jun-08 16:33:42

My son dodes exactly the same as MM BIL! he is 5.8 and won't even attempt to do it. Yes i do think it is a boy thing!!

maidamess Wed 25-Jun-08 16:39:20

But they don't yell for their teachers to wipe them do they? Just us mugs.

poshwellies Wed 25-Jun-08 16:39:46

Another bum wiper here,my son is 5yrs old and refuses to wipe,lazy tike.Tried everything tbh,he doesn't like the feel of wet wipes ,tried star charts etc.

Watching in interest

TeeBee Wed 25-Jun-08 16:41:18

I had to play hardball with my DS when he started school because I had visions of him being the smelly kid in class (there's always at least one isn't there?). I started with wet wipes but because they didn't have them at school he got a bit stressed out, so you might want to just go straight for paper.

I gave him a cut-off date when I would wipe it, then refused to do it after that date. Maybe they are just not confident they can do it properly. I got mine to keep practising to show that as they did more wipes, the tissue got cleaner. We used to have a guess how many wipes it would take to get a clean bottom and see who was right (e.g. 'right, I'll bet you that was a 3-wipe poo). I have the opposite problem, my 3-year old uses about half a roll each time he does a poo!

morethanyoubargainfor Wed 25-Jun-08 16:43:48

maidamess, thats the thing my ds is always desperate to go when he gets in from school as he has held on to it all day, because he refuses to go any where but at home! won't even go at grandparents, so i always get that pleasure!

southeastastra Wed 25-Jun-08 16:44:44

mine doesn't either, which is so annoying as he used to. i do try just ignoring his 'wipe my bottom' cries but that can be wearing.

maidamess Wed 25-Jun-08 16:45:05

My ds's favourite time and place is whatever restaurant we are in, just as the food arrives.

florenceuk Wed 25-Jun-08 16:46:14

My DS never poos at school - he holds on till he can get home and use the wet wipes. In the desert, he held on for 3 days because he didn't want to poo in a hole in the ground! Needless to say he rushed for the loo once we got back to civilization....

morethanyoubargainfor Wed 25-Jun-08 16:46:34

fab! it is funny how it always happens to fall at that time, just when you are about to eat!

Buda Wed 25-Jun-08 16:49:44

Guess what I have just been doing???? grin

I asked why he asks me and he said "cos you do it so nicely Mummy!"

sagacious Wed 25-Jun-08 16:49:52

Ds (age6) refuses to go at school

I did a flat refusal to wipe past his 6th birthday.
He likes the toddler wipes (in the jungle box)

Not very eco friendly but hey

He will now wipe unless "its a nasty one"

(I get all the best ..eerrrr jobs)

Buda Wed 25-Jun-08 17:07:13

We use wipes. He just likes me doing it.

Am refusing beyond 7 - that's August.

He can be quite funny in how he asks sometimes so gets away with it more!

MaloryBriocheSaucepot Wed 25-Jun-08 17:10:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Buda Wed 25-Jun-08 17:20:28

I know Malory. But he is my POB! And he asks so nicely! Even make up songs to the sounds of the poos hitting the water - tries to give them guitar chords anyway and makes up a few new ones as he goes!

Am stopping in August - I promise!

suzun Wed 25-Jun-08 17:22:23

Wow didn't expect so many replies.Thank you.

It worries me that he holds it in and when he is out with us he won't use any other toilets apart from home and then starts crying to go home because hes desperate.

Oh well looks like most of us are in the same boat.

Bws

suzun xx

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Wed 25-Jun-08 17:33:46

Suzun - ds2 was the same - would not poo @ nursery and then be desperat in the car going home... ds1 meanwhile would not wipe bum as 'could not get it clean'. I just did it, and one day he just stopped asking (aged 8!) and DS2 lost his anal-retentiveness. Interesting about the desert, becuase when the htree of us were sailing on a felucca (River Nile open boat) none of us had the need to poo for three days 9'cos would have meant digging a hole o the river bank), till we got back to the hotel , then a massive dash for the loo..! Weird.

BrassicMonkey Wed 25-Jun-08 17:42:45

My DS is 6 and won't wipe his own bum or poo at school either. I worry that he's going to have an embarrassing accident at school because he's tried to hold on for too long. I do often get him to try to wipe at home, but then I have skiddy pants to wash because he's not very good at it.

Relieved that DS isn't the only one though.

Morloth Wed 25-Jun-08 17:48:51

shock Amazed that you guys will wipe for them! DS 4 would think I was mental if I suggested wiping his bottom now. Though we are all bathroom privacy freaks here.

Though I can sympathise with only wanting to poo at home (or possibly in a hotel that I am staying in, which is sort of home). I have been known to go days without - doesn't appear to be something I can control, just doesn't happen for me

suzun Wed 25-Jun-08 18:02:09

my 8 yr old used to call 'bum wiper' when he finished.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now