Talk

Advanced search

Am I expecting too much?

(4 Posts)
jampots Fri 14-Jan-05 18:17:11

DD who is nearly 12 complains that I expect her to keep her bedroom tidy (which is a constant battle) and other chores like occasional vacuuming etc. She argues that I dont expect ds to (which is not entirely true - just that I expect more from a 12 year old. So, should a 12 year old and an 8 year old do the same in the house?

For what its worth, dd has her riding paid for each month = £70 plus an allowance of £40

Potty1 Fri 14-Jan-05 18:28:53

Mine are 16,13 & 11 jampots, in our house the older they are the more they do - especially as the older they are the more they cost

What did dd do when she was 8? If not much then maybe thats worth pointing out to her, then again if she is anything like my dd, hormones are rampant and a bad case of the strops is a daily occurance, so make sure you duck!!

KateandtheGirls Fri 14-Jan-05 18:34:45

As long as your 8 year old does have some responsibility, it's reasonable to explain to her that it's because she's older, and when your son is 12 he will have to do exactly the same thing. (I assume their gender is irrelevant?) Also, IMO her allowance has nothing to do with it. It's part of being a member of the family.

jampots Fri 14-Jan-05 18:42:28

No Kate - i dont expect ds to do anything because he's a boy

Seriously, dd did nothing at aged 8 which I do point out very regularly. I feel she is acting a little "spoilt" but really dont want to take away her riding as she's been doing it since she was 4. I do deduct money from her allowance though, but still the argument remains.

Maybe it is those freaking hormones admittedly worse when aunt flo is around

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now