Talk

Advanced search

Is controlled crying the solution or the problem? HELP!

(6 Posts)
Lua Mon 10-Jan-05 16:07:22

Hi everyone,
My DD has always been wonderful at sleeping. We had a very well established sleeping routine, and we hardly have any problems.
I am 5 months pregnant, and decided we needed to move the us putting her to bed, to her going to sleep on her own, since once #2 arrived I won't necessarily be available to stay with her until she fall asleep.
Thus, we continue our usual routine, but once I put her the bed I explained was time to sleep and she should close her eyes and sleep and I'll see her in the morning. She cried for 45 min. the first day and I went back in there 3 times to explain again. She was mostly whining so I thought we were doing fine. But after one week, she nows tell me she doesn't want to go to sleep (which she never said before!) and cry in earnest...
I though maybe I moved too fast, and decide to sit with her without talking or touching her. But she took an hour to sleep (in the past it never took more than 15 minutes...) and she didn't really sleep until I finally decided to leave. She then did whine for 10 minutes and went to sleep. However, she is now also waking up in the middle of the night crying really badly.
Don't know more what to do!!! Should I persevere with letting her fall asleep on her own? Did move to fast and should step back?
Any help would be much appreciated!

Lua Wed 12-Jan-05 10:46:55

selfish bump!
This evening DD cried from 5 to 6 AM, then she cried when I woke her up at 8AM because she was so tired...
It's being really difficult!
Anyone has any suggestions

Bozza Wed 12-Jan-05 11:19:07

How old is she? Did she sleep through before? How did you get her to sleep - just sit with her or cuddle her?

iota Wed 12-Jan-05 11:48:32

I never really did CC, but I thought that for the first few days you were supposed to go back in every few minutes if they cry and gradually increase the length of time that you leave them.

Lua Wed 12-Jan-05 12:06:15

Hi there,
DD is 26 months. Until last month we used to give her bath milk, take her to her crib and lay down by her crib holding her hand until she slept. She usually would fall asleep in 15 minutes, and would stay asleep the whole night.
During Xtmas we all had to share a room, and I started just laying far away from her without touching and explaining that she had her bed and I had mine... That seemed to work really well, so I though when we got back hone she would be ready to be put in her crib and leave....
She cired for about 45 minutes the first night, mostly whinned, and I did come in every 5, 10 , 15 mins. etc...
The problem is that after a week things are getting WORST instead of better! Now she starts the whole routine by saying she doesn't want to sleep and making the whole process as difficult as she can.
Thus, I am wondering if we changed things too fast, or this this just a toddler's way to react to change.
Shall I persevere or step back?

Bozza Wed 12-Jan-05 13:09:37

I'm not sure what to suggest Lua sounds quite tricky. Understand why you want her to go to sleep on her own. Could you give her a bear to hold instead of you? Would she understood if you explained that to her?

Sorry not much help but hopefully with the bump somebody else might see it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now