Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

'Child Of Our Time' Robert Winston programme on child development last night on BBC1

(8 Posts)
VFeist Wed 05-Jan-05 10:28:50

Did anyone see this last night? I have really mixed feelings about this whole series and would love to know what other people think. I am sure that the families will have given the necessary permissions for filming but I still wonder about the privacy and dignity of a child being filmed in some distress like Tyreese and James last night. They are neither old enough nor required to give permission and are unlikely to be old enough to imagine what it means to have one's private life offered up for TV's use. I'm sure Prof Winston would defend this on the grounds that their parents will be able to learn from this and other parents will learn etc. But what about the child's rights to privacy? I wonder how I might have felt if my distress at my parents separation when I was 5 had been filmed for anyone to watch so that they can be informed? Educated? I wonder whether there isn't an argument for their distress being considered as properly private and therefore inappropriate for public consumption. Anyone else uncomfortable with it?

OldieMum Wed 05-Jan-05 10:30:20

There is another thread on this, VFeist

GreatBigFatHeiferEnid Wed 05-Jan-05 10:31:09

I hate it

MummytoSteven Wed 05-Jan-05 10:38:01

haven't seen this programme, VFeist, but I hate the RL children's hospital programmes for exactly this reason.

VFeist Wed 05-Jan-05 10:55:30

Glad I'm not alone in finding it dubious! I actually made a formal complaint to OFCOM (or it may have still been called the Broadcasting Standards Council or something) about the last series and they sent me such a lame defence/reply that I wish I hadn't torn it up in irritation. No disrespect intended but why do you think the parents do it?
Thanks, OldieMum, would you tell me where the other thread is? I never seem to search very successfully!

Furball Wed 05-Jan-05 10:57:41

click here

stitch Wed 05-Jan-05 10:59:18

ITS like all of reality tv isnt it. i dont understand why anyone would want to do it.
big brother for instance. how do you move your life forward, when everyone has seen everytiny little detail of your private life?
i thought i was in the minortiy on this issue

nasa Wed 05-Jan-05 10:59:51

there's a big thread on this already

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now