Talk

Advanced search

Advise needed on organising dd's 2nd birthday party!

(13 Posts)
cupcakes Tue 04-Jan-05 12:34:53

Have always had a tea party for my ds's birthdays and we have continued this with dd. Last year for her first we had a lot of people round including her brother's friends (as most of them now have younger siblings the same age as dd). It was a full house and very nice but I don't want to do that scale again - our house isn't big enough for a start.
Ideally I would just like to have a few similar aged children to lunch or tea. But all dd's friends have older brother's who are friends with ds so would like to come too. Two of these are at school with ds but 3 are at nursery, mornings only. I can't have a party for the babies whilst the older ones are at school because the nursery children need picking up around 11.30. So I might as well have one with all the children incl ds (he would really want to be there). This however also means inviting twin girls from his class as they have all been friends for years and I would feel mean if there was a party I didn't invite them too - they are the only ones who don't have younger siblings. But this now makes the list 5 x toddlers and 6 x 4/5 year olds (incl mine). And I only have space for 6 at the table. And I can't do a picnic because the toddlers would run amok over it.
What would you do????

WideWebWitch Tue 04-Jan-05 12:36:36

I would only invite dd's friends. I don't think people expect you to invite siblings, really! She's only 2, I doubt she'll mind what you do so you could easily get away with a small tea party IMO.

cupcakes Tue 04-Jan-05 12:40:40

Yes, I think she'd actually prefer a smaller party. My only concern was that the mum's would come with the toddlers only when normally it is part and parcel with the older boys.
I could have it on a Saturday so that hopefully dads would be around to look after the older ones. I would be the first of our network of mums to exclude the older ones... yikes!

WideWebWitch Tue 04-Jan-05 12:46:18

When I was taking ds to pre school it was the thing to do, to just invite the littlies if it was a party for them. It wouldn't occur to me to invite ds's friends to any party of dd's.

WideWebWitch Tue 04-Jan-05 12:47:21

Or, here's a suggestion, you don't have a party for her at all since she's only going to be 2 and it's the last year EVER you'll be able to get away with it! You could just give her presents as a family and leave a party til next year plus.

huggybear Tue 04-Jan-05 12:49:22

we had a bouncy castle in the garden but i was summer when it was his birthday. we had a picnic in the garden too. alot of ds's friends are older - he was 2 and he friends were between 3 and 6 years old. he loved it though. its ds2's birthday in march. he'll be one so we might just have a small party at mcdonalds as again his friends are older. and also he loves mcdonalds happy meals - am i going to get slated for letting my 9 month old eat mcdonalds?

Stripymouse Tue 04-Jan-05 12:49:47

We have a small house and will have this problem this year. Intend to have a small number over on the day for a birthday tea and then invite all her playgroup/toddler friends, siblings etc. to a free for all session for an hour at our local sports centre - only £30 for an hour and will not do party bags, just cake and a balloon (cheating with cakes - gonna copy a friend who did a mega number kids party so bought several tubs of Tesco chocolate mini muffins, decorate with choc and buttons and hand those out.

WideWebWitch Tue 04-Jan-05 12:52:40

It's up to you but personally I'd have thought that McDonald's is very high in salt, fat and other crap for a 9 month old.

cupcakes Tue 04-Jan-05 13:00:38

I can't believe I'm managing to feel guilty about not inviting a bunch of 4 and 5 years over to trash my house under the pretext of celebrating a 2 year old's birthday!
You're right - I will stick to a small tea for a few other toddlers. Why do I feel nervous about telling the mums?!!

handlemecarefully Tue 04-Jan-05 13:37:37

Personally I would go for the weekend - with dads included to help out, and invite older siblings too.

cupcakes Tue 04-Jan-05 18:42:42

The problem with that is our house really isn't big enough to have them plus the dads. I would have to do two sittings for tea and I feel it would change the tone of the party to have lots of (relatively) older children running about.
But I'm still not sure!!

handlemecarefully Tue 04-Jan-05 22:30:53

Sorry I was forgetting that it isn't summer time and they can't sit out in the garden (was thinking of my 2 year old's 2nd birthday when I posted, but she was 2 in July!) - if your house is too cramped to accommodate everyone then of course you can't be expected to stage a grand event. Totally disregard what I said before! - just go for the tots (not older siblings) and explain your reasons to the other mums. They should be cool about it if they are reasonable people.

cupcakes Wed 05-Jan-05 13:22:46

My ds's bithday is in June and we've always invited everyone, incl dads! Luckily we've always had nice weather and have been outside the whole time.
I mentioned it to two other mums this morning and they seemed ok about leaving the older boys behind so that is probably the way I'll go.
Thanks for your advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now