Talk

Advanced search

Gina Ford routines for second child

(12 Posts)
mckenzie Tue 04-Jan-05 12:18:25

We followed the Gina FOrd guidelines to establish a routine for our DS and found that it suited us and suited him and we are keen to do the same with our second child due at the end of february.

Now though, we have the playgroup run in the morning and again at lunchtime and we have DS1's bedtime routine which we so don't want to change as it's unfair on him.

How have others managed to fit all this together?

I'm probably was a slave to Gina Ford's routine first time round (that was fine, it suited me and obviously suited DS) and I think I probably know the answer to my own question. Guess I'm looking for a bit of reassuraance that it can be done as long as I am more flexible.

Please dont let this turn into a heated Gina Ford debate but any helpful comments much appreciated.

jofeb04 Tue 04-Jan-05 14:49:50

Only you no whats best for ur children.
As from a previous thread, i dont follow a set routine for my ds and its works wonderful for us.
I feel that you cant let guidelines run your life for you.

PrettyCandles Tue 04-Jan-05 14:58:27

I followed GF with no1 and also found that it suited us. But, as you say, it doesn't fit well with no2 - unless you have a nanny. We found that no2 just had to fit in with no1. We managed to keep to GF's principles, even if our timings were not quite as she recommends. The toughest was mornings: dd needed always needed a feed or a nap at exactly the times I had to take ds to nursery or collect him from nursery. Even worse when she started solids and needed lunch at about 11.30 - ds had to be colelcted from nursery at 12 and then have his lunch. But you manage - just don't let yourself be overwhelmed by GF's requirements. You've done it before, you've seen what works for you, remembering tho that this will be another child with quite likely very different personality and needs, so you can modify her principles to your requirement. And your older child will need to learn a little flexibility - no need to change routines suddenly, you can just ease along until you settle into the new routine.

Titania Tue 04-Jan-05 15:00:12

i only followed gina ford for my 3rd!! i changed it to suit as I had school etc to do too, but as long as you keep it a regular routine then it will be fine. Good luck x x

HappyMumOf2 Tue 04-Jan-05 15:00:41

Message withdrawn

bluemoon Tue 04-Jan-05 15:09:08

Maybe this is a cue for GF to write 'The Contented Little Sibling Book'?! She was an anonymous poster on here for a while wasn't she?

GF ... are you there?????????

zubb Tue 04-Jan-05 15:44:09

mckenzie, I think that with number 2 you just have to choose the bits of GF that fit, and adapt them round the first.

I would give the second child the same bedtime routine as you already have for ds, as soon as they are ready for it. With the playgroup run, just try to make sure that the second child either sleeps after you get back, or that they sleep en route.

The second one will adapt to the routine of the first, and I'm sure you will find a flexible type of GF that works well for you.

mckenzie Tue 04-Jan-05 16:21:03

thanks girls for the replies.

I think the most important thing for us is going to be me being more relaxed and flexible about the timings etc and, as has been suggested here, use the GF principal rather than the GF clock.

Fingers crossed!

stringbean Tue 04-Jan-05 16:42:39

I follow a sort of GF routine for dd, having used it successfully for ds (although not to the letter) who's now 3. I think the key is to be flexible second time round; sometimes the routine falls into place and other days it doesn't at all; if I'm at home then dd sleeps in her cot, if I'm out then its pushchair or carseat. Its easier now dd is 3 months old, so less likely to fall asleep the second she gets in her pushchair/carseat.

I'm on mat leave at the moment, so take ds to pre-school one morning a week (he's at nursery/granny's on the other three days) and dd has her morning sleep in the pushchair going there and back. At lunchtime she starts her sleep in the pushchair going to collect ds and then gets transferred to her cot when we get home. I can either follow the routine or not on the days ds is at nursery. In the evenings they get bathed together (ds is 3, so able to play while I bath dd). Dd has a short bath and I dress her and start feeding her in the bathroom while ds plays in the bath for longer. The evening feed is a bit disjointed for dd if dh is not around to help eg. I have to put her down somewhere to get ds out of the bath, but then carry on feeding her while reading ds his stories. I usually have ds in bed for 7ish and dd by 7.30 although she's a bit unsettled in the evenings. I also start the day at 7am, but this suits us anyway, as dh is getting up for work then (and I'll be going back to work in March so may as well get used to it).

Bear in mind that if you try and follow the routine to the letter you will have no life at all, and you will never get out of the house. From your oldest child's point of view this is unfair, so your second will learn to fit in out of necessity. Don't sweat it - I worried that I'd never get two of them to bed in the evenings, but you'll be surprised how quickly you find a routine of sorts.

mckenzie Tue 04-Jan-05 18:41:48

thanks for the encouragement Stringbean. I just need to hope the DH doesn't have too many business trips for the first few months so that he is around to help while I get myself organised.

ZoeBristol Tue 04-Jan-05 19:05:26

I have a 2.5 boy & 5 month g, used the GF found it worked well also but with number 2 flexibility is key and dont stress if all goes down the pan for a couple of days if you are a "doer" all will be well.

jennifersofia Sun 09-Jan-05 00:20:44

I would second what others say here. Also, used to put the babby down first in the evening and then had extra special story/cuddle time with older girl for 1/2 hour after babby was in her cot.
It is a bit of a juggle, but you will be more relaxed about it because you know your way around it, iyswim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now