Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

What to do with ds while I have my Xrays?

(10 Posts)
mistletoe Sun 02-Jan-05 15:07:19

I have a hospital appt on Thursday to have xrays, see consultant (now a regular 6 month thing).

Anyway, it just so happens that my childminder also has an appt that day, so can't have ds. Now I can take him to the hospital with me, but he won't be able to come in with me when I have my Xrays, so for 10 mins or so will have to wait in the waiting area, which is really just some chairs in the corridor.

I'm pretty certain (well 98%) that he'll read his new comic that I'm going to buy for him, and sit and wait for me. But there's that nagging 2% .....

Any Ideas?

I can't change the appt as I specially want to see the consultant, who WILL be there that day. and dh has a shiny new job, so doesn't really want to ask for time off yet.

Carla Sun 02-Jan-05 15:32:32

How old is he, mistletoe? Surely the hospital must have some sort of provision for this? Which hospital is it? So sorry to hear you have to go in XXXX

WideWebWitch Sun 02-Jan-05 15:34:51

Surely they won't expect a 5yo to wait outside alone? Won't they let him wait where he can see you? Could you get a sticker book? Or colouring book? the facilities at Addenbrooke's look amazing does your hospital do anything similar?

WideWebWitch Sun 02-Jan-05 15:35:06

Sorry you've got to go in too.

fisil Sun 02-Jan-05 15:35:58

IME the receptionist/nursing staff can be wonderful! I had a scan when ds was tiny. Now, admitedly he could quite happily have come in the room with me, but the reception staff begged to look after him!

Good luck.

Twiglett Sun 02-Jan-05 15:36:11

they'll let you take him in and he can go stand with the radiographer behind the shield

either that or a nurse can watch him for you

don't worry mistletoe . hospitals are used to having children around

maddiemo Sun 02-Jan-05 16:49:31

I had an xray a few weeks ago. As Twigglet says, he was allowed to stay in the room and go behind the screen with the radiographer.
They were very good with him as he tried to escape from behind the screen. They seemed used to having children around.

Clayhead Sun 02-Jan-05 17:39:43

At our local hospital, they took ds behind a window to stand with the radiographer, as others have described. I could see him the whole time and the staff were great about it.

codswallop Sun 02-Jan-05 17:40:13

he could go behind the screen deffo

mistletoe Sun 02-Jan-05 18:12:42

You don't know ds. I know they will let you go behind the screen (dh did when I needed help taking off my leg frame last year).

But ds will press all the buttons and twiddle all the knobs. I KNOW he will

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: