Anyone with scarred nipples?

(7 Posts)
Futurachan Wed 13-Oct-21 22:34:35

Hello everyone,
Hopefully there is someone out there with my same situation, as my breastfeeding support worker said she never had a case like mine before.
LO is 12w, a mild tongue tie lately diagnosed that left me with badly scarred nipples in the early days, but she’s still EBF.
Since BF has been established, she started having reflux, so the HV gave us carobel, which she hated and never took. Then the GP gave us gaviscon, which she also hated and took for a while only because forced. Then we realised she was sick only on one breast. I tried expressing and she is not sick anymore (slow flow tit). Turns out it wasn’t reflux, but a weird situation with my breasts:
L breast: volume almost non existent, expressed only 10ml (this breast had bad scarring issues at the beginning and I made the mistake to leave it alone for 1/2 days because it was too bloody, hence supply dropped).
R breast: over supplying to solve the issue, strong letdown AND! a bar-shaped scar right in the middle, from which the milk comes out! Turns out LO was struggling with the gushing out of milk from R breast and couldn’t cope with the volume in such a short time. I have tried to lay back to get help by gravity but no joy.
Now that we know the issue, BF SW suggested expressing and feeding more often from L side so that volume will hopefully increase, expressing foremilk from R breast so that she doesn’t choke on it, or express altogether the R breast.
I’ve done this and it’s obviously working, although if you have experience with expressing, you know well how hard and time consuming it is.
I would like to know if there is anyone else with the same experience and if you have any suggestions. smile
My LO is the clingy type, so it’s very difficult for me to wash and sterilise pump and bottles so many times a day.
TIA

OP’s posts: |
Funauntienowmummytobe Fri 15-Oct-21 23:00:09

I haven't had anything like you describe but wanted to say well done for persevering! I had badly damaged nipples to start with but thankfully not scarred, almost healed now at 7wks. Hope someone can offer some advice. Have you tried calling the breastfeeding advice line? Their lines are open every day or join a local breastfeeding group.

Good luck!

Futurachan Sat 16-Oct-21 02:00:43

Thank you for your kind message. smile
I have joined a local group but haven’t called the advice line, only my local BF support worker.
I’ll give it a go, thank you!
Yeah 7w sounds about the same time mine got a bit better as well. wink

HollieZ Sat 16-Oct-21 02:05:12

Again, really sorry but no advice, I wish I had some. But just wanted to express (ha!) solidarity, I’m also up pumping at 2am and can confirm it’s HARD work. I have a 13wk old with latch issues.

whateverintheworld Sat 16-Oct-21 07:33:27

No advice on the scarring I’m afraid but I did read that you don’t need to sterilise the pump or bottles for breast milk, only to wash in very hot water. I’m sorry if I’m misremembering this so please do check yourself but it may well save you some time!

Futurachan Sat 16-Oct-21 08:24:45

HollieZ

Again, really sorry but no advice, I wish I had some. But just wanted to express (ha!) solidarity, I’m also up pumping at 2am and can confirm it’s HARD work. I have a 13wk old with latch issues.

Thank you Hollie. Pumping in the middle of the night.. you’re a super mum! wink

Futurachan Sat 16-Oct-21 08:25:59

whateverintheworld

No advice on the scarring I’m afraid but I did read that you don’t need to sterilise the pump or bottles for breast milk, only to wash in very hot water. I’m sorry if I’m misremembering this so please do check yourself but it may well save you some time!

Thank you!! I’ll have a look and see what I can find! shock

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in