Advise to your teenage self! Body Confidence.

(7 Posts)
Jellyfish80 Tue 04-May-21 09:57:19

My teenage daughter is really struggling with her body image. She thinks she is overweight but in reality, she is strong and couldn't do her sports if she was a stick insect!

Whilst trawling the interweb for support I have stumbled upon The How People. They have a free session with Molly Forbes tomorrow and I thought others might want in too!

www.facebook.com/events/932599217299351/

OP’s posts: |
EvilOnion Tue 04-May-21 09:59:42

Don't refer to people as stick insects would be one thing.

Respect that some people are naturally slimmer or broader than others.

CoffeeBeansGalore Tue 04-May-21 10:00:33

Get her to listen to the song Sunscreen/Everybody's Free by Baz Luhrman. Some good advice in it 😊

Jellyfish80 Tue 04-May-21 10:04:42

@coffeeBeansGalore thanks!

OP’s posts: |
nitsandwormsdodger Tue 04-May-21 10:42:16

My daughter commented on my big tum in reception year ( aged4!!) which I'm sure came from other kids comments and comparing mums , big shock to me , since then been really careful about the commenting on people's bodies in real life and extreme ones on tv. if I exercise I never say I'm fat or trying to lose weight I always say I'm getting healthy or have a goal to be able to do do x amount of press-ups , when I weigh myself ( try not to do it often) I always get the kids on the scale and emphasise it as growing up never negative, I walk around naked and only say possible things about mine and my partners body . I challenge all stereotypes and negative comments that are said on tv . But it's a losing battle some as everyday her peers and tv is in her face more hours a day than me and it's v powerful influence,

Fleetw00d Thu 06-May-21 02:38:23

Unfortunately I think it's really common for teenage girls to feel this way at some point, especially these days with social jediscthey can compare themselves to so many celebs whereas 10+ years ago we just had girls in school or maybe magazines to compare too which was bad enough. You're doing the right thing being positive with your language, you could show her strong women she could use as role models, there's so many in the fitness and sports industry promoting healthy strong body image so she can see she doesn't have to look a certain way like a size 8 Victoria's secret model for instance. Our of interest what sport does she do? Are there any famous sportswomen in that sport she could look up to?
Unfortunately it is just one of those things sometimes, girls can be mean and someone could have made a comment that is getting to her, or could be hormones. Keep doing what you're doing, and ensure the family are all maintaining a healthy diet and good activity levels as that in itself (without an obvious focus on it) will release good endorphins and make her feel better! (I say while family so she doesn't feel singled out at all)

Fleetw00d Thu 06-May-21 02:38:47

Social media that should say!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in