Nap time advice needed

(8 Posts)
Lolarosemama Thu 01-Apr-21 12:07:46

So. Parents of a five month old. We’ve definitely shot ourselves in the foot as ds will only go to sleep being in the baby wrap or bounced at bedtime.
We have never bed shared so he sleeps just fine in his cot at night once he’s been bounced to sleep. But we’re trying to transition him to his cot in the day and it’s just not happening because he’s used to being wrapped.
Any advice on things that have worked for you? Or any methods that don’t involve him being left for too long screaming and crying? Or a sleep aid that actually works for a baby who’s not a newborn?
Please don’t lecture me on not putting him down yet to sleep - we know we haven’t helped ourselves, just want first hand experience and advice!
Thanks in advance x

OP’s posts: |
Thatwentbadly Thu 01-Apr-21 12:52:29

I have two children and never figured out how to get them to sleep in a cot so no lecturing here.

Another alternative is pushing to sleep and then wheeling the pram into the house so that way you are not stuck in a room with a baby for nap time unable to do anything.

Caspianberg Thu 01-Apr-21 13:40:50

Our 11 month old was rocked and held to sleep when small. Probably around 5 months I started using pram rocked or walked for naps so he is still rocked in pram but once asleep I’m free to do something.

Same as you sleeps in cot fine at night, but was fed or rocked until 5+ months.

Nothing we did, but from 5-6+ months he just gradually started not needing to be fed fully asleep at bedtime or rocked, and over the next few months just needed less. He’s now 11 months and I feed him at bedtime and put him in cot awake and he goes to sleep fine.

So, just because your baby needs rocking now, doesn’t mean it will be forever or that you need to take any drastic measures to make them. I think time does the majority

user1493413286 Thu 01-Apr-21 13:48:05

My first DD I used to rock to sleep for naps in her bouncer then at 6 months in her pram. It worked for us fine until she was 9/10 months then I had to do some gentle sleep training to get her to sleep through as the rocking to sleep for naps and at bedtime were making her wake in the night.
With my DS I tried it differently and got a Ewan the sheep to act as a sleep cue and then did a run/pat motion on him that practically rocked him to sleep in the cot. It’s been hit and miss with what’s worked

Willow4987 Thu 01-Apr-21 13:52:49

I had the same with DS1 who would only nap on me in the day. At about the same age I started to transition into a cot and did the following:
- rocked to sleep and let him sleep on me while lying on our bed (More comfortable for me)
- rock to sleep and then gently roll off me when completely asleep and he’d sleep next to me
- lie him next to me on the bed and rub his back until asleep

Then I moved to putting him in his cot and rubbing his back to sleep etc and it just progressed from there

I know it sounds like a lot but he was a really clingy baby so I had to take small steps

DS2 was the polar opposite and used to sleep in his cot no problem but DS1 needed the extra comfort

WrenWilliams Tue 04-May-21 12:13:01

Lolarosemama

So. Parents of a five month old. We’ve definitely shot ourselves in the foot as ds will only go to sleep being in the baby wrap or bounced at bedtime.
We have never bed shared so he sleeps just fine in his cot at night once he’s been bounced to sleep. But we’re trying to transition him to his cot in the day and it’s just not happening because he’s used to being wrapped.
Any advice on things that have worked for you? Or any methods that don’t involve him being left for too long screaming and crying? Or a sleep aid that actually works for a baby who’s not a newborn?
Please don’t lecture me on not putting him down yet to sleep - we know we haven’t helped ourselves, just want first hand experience and advice!
Thanks in advance x

Have you tried using a Rockit rocker? It's a thing that goes on the pram so if your baby nods off from the pram movement you can use this to keep the rocking motion going. Mine are too big, but friends swear by it for naps. They also have a little vibrating one that goes in the cot

AndddddHerewegoagain Tue 04-May-21 13:37:58

With the rocking at night, reduce the rocking over time... so rock until he's almost asleep then lay him down. Repeat until he's asleep. Then reduce to 2 mins 1 min etc of rocking before putting him down

Once in the cot keep your hand to reassure him

You can also try saying something like sleepy time now and give him a kiss, try and keep your body language positive. If he can sense anxiety he will struggle to settle.

Reduce the contact as hes able to settle himself

As for wrapping try taking 1 limb out at a time, right arm for 2 sleeps then put the right back and take the left out for 2 sleeps. Lets him learn that being able to move isn't as scarey. from there you can transfer to gro bags

Good luck!

Lolarosemama Tue 04-May-21 13:59:34

I’m so confused why this is getting comments again all of a sudden haha 😅 thank you so much for the advice but a month on im happy to report we have a happy sleeper!

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in