Talk

Advanced search

Sudocrem safe for young baby's face?

(6 Posts)
CoalCraft Fri 12-Feb-21 16:12:54

Hi all

DD is 2.5 months, but was prem do adjusted age 5 weeks. She seems to be going through a dribbly phase and the cheek she usually lies on has gone a bit red and dry from contact with saliva over night sad It looks like mild nappy rash, but on her face!

Sudocrem has worked a treat when she's had nappy rash here and there so I'm tempted to apply a small amount to her cheeks just before bed, to try and protect the skin. I've done some googling and not find anything to say you can't but just want to be sure. Has anyone used sudocrem on the face? Did it work? Any other tips for dealing with "spit rash"?

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Fri 12-Feb-21 16:16:45

Bepanthen is good for protecting skin

mindutopia Fri 12-Feb-21 16:17:05

No, definitely not, it would burn horribly if it got in the eyes. Child's farm do a nice baby lotion which works really well, but also Weleda do something that I think is called cold weather balm (or something similar), which works really well on dribble rash. Or vaseline, if you can't get any of those.

Crockof Fri 12-Feb-21 16:18:40

I use it for everything, just not near eyes and just a very thin layer

mindutopia Fri 12-Feb-21 16:18:55

Also, if it's on the cheeks instead of the chin, it's possible it's eczema and not dribble rash (which tends to be in the folds of the neck). The child's farm cream helped that or there is something called Aquamax you can get for eczema that is great (ordered it on Amazon).

CoalCraft Fri 12-Feb-21 16:32:11

Thanks for the responses everyone. Vaseline sounds like a good shout but think I will ring health visitor to see what they think is best. Please keep the suggestions coming though! I will put them to the HV

@mindutopia

I did wonder if it was eczema but think dribble rash is more likely as it's really only on the cheek she lies on and is on her chin a bit too. She isn't dribbling enough for it to be getting in the folds of her neck I don't think? Except when she's eating, but I'm careful to dry her up quickly. It's just at night I can't be there to pat her dry all the time so it soaks into the sheet and she lies on it sad

I take your point about her eyes; if she were to rub some off onto her sheet then move it could contact her eyes. I think that would be true of any cream/ointment though? I guess I was thinking if I applied a small enough amount early enough it would 'soak in' and not be s problem, but maybe not, thanks for raising it.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in