Talk

Advanced search

Mini pill, periods and breakthrough bleeds

(8 Posts)
Mumplum1 Wed 10-Feb-21 19:54:55

Hello,
I have taken the same mini pill for years (Cerelle, desogestrel) and it normally works well for me, I normally get a regular monthly "period" on it but when I restarted it after giving birth over a year ago, I didn't have any periods since then as I have been breastfeeding.... but a few weeks ago, I had a 6 day period with alot of cramps etc, so I assumed then that was it that would go back to monthly now, but since then I have had 3 different breakthrough bleeds, only lasting a day or two but so annoying as I have no warning each time.
I understand getting breakthrough bleeding is normal when first starting the pill, but surely not a year after.
Has anyone else experienced this or anything similar with the mini pill, if so, did it go away? I am wondering is it the pill causing it, that I might need to change it or is it from the hormones from bf or something.

Sorry if this message is TMI and thank you for reading! 🙂

OP’s posts: |
Mumplum1 Wed 10-Feb-21 19:55:36

P.s Sorry I didn't mean for that message to be so long! x

Harrysmummy246 Wed 10-Feb-21 20:42:00

I find cerelle is rather sensitive to being even a couple of hours late taking it. THe cramps etc are way better on cerelle but I'm regularly bleeding lightly for 8 or more days (now plotting as I'm trying to get sorted to ask to change, hopefully back to cerazette and the never ending e-consult asks). Stopped BF nearly 2 years ago so that's not it for me.

Mumplum1 Thu 11-Feb-21 15:20:39

Thank you for your response @Harrysmummy246 must be that type of pill then, maybe ingredients have changed or something.

Its a pain trying to suss out the best pill isn't it, well hoping you get sorted with a new one and that this breakthrough stops soon for me. 🙂 x

Harrysmummy246 Thu 11-Feb-21 15:23:57

It's supposed to be the same as cerazette which I used to be on very successfully, but cheaper for the NHS. Don't think it's working for me but the form is just so long.
Sister talked quite highly of the injection (she's not had a child but is definitely keen on period management....)

Runningshorts Thu 11-Feb-21 15:29:41

I agree with the comment about taking it exactly on time. I get breakthrough bleeding with cerazette (same ingredient as cerelle) if I don't set an alarm on my phone each day and take it on time.

Harrysmummy246 Thu 11-Feb-21 15:34:07

I got breakthrough on cerazette but didn't have 10+ days bleeding each cycle @Runningshorts

I've just done my e-consult request to change so thank you @Mumplum1

Mumplum1 Fri 12-Feb-21 20:16:16

Thats great @harrysmummy246 Hopefully this works better for you. 🙂

Thank you @runningshorts
I was thinking about it after your message as well as what harrysmum said and I dont take it at exactly the same time... I will try to remember at a set time and see if that helps 🙂

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in