Talk

Advanced search

3 year old waking wet

(6 Posts)
Jet888 Thu 21-Jan-21 07:05:01

Hello,
My 3 year old ds is potty trained in day but wears nappies at night. I double up on nappies, have the top nappy on backwards so the waist band is higher, and try and make sure he has a small drink with dinner at half 4 but no liquids after. He only drinks water and milk, no squash or juice. Yet every morning he wakes up with wet pyjamas abd bedding! Any advice or people gone through sane thing? Getting tired of the washing!

OP’s posts: |
Idroppedthescrewinthetuna Thu 21-Jan-21 07:13:28

Get a bigger size nappy/pull up. Also don't double up.
My DD was always leaking as she got older, she was almost 5 by the time she was dry through the night, the older she got the more she leaked ,

We used to change her nappy when we went to bed. My DD is a heavy sleeper though and wouldn't wake up. This helped.

CaraDuneRedux Thu 21-Jan-21 07:18:44

Overnight dryness is controlled by a hormone, not by training/ behaviour/ restricting liquids. With some children it starts to work under 2, almost all are dry by 10 (the NHS doesn't look at nighttime bedwetting till 7 years old because it is absolutely normal if not that common for children to still wet the bed till this age).

Sadly (and I feel your pain, washing duvets is the pits), a bigger tumble drier or the purchase of a dehumidifier is the only answer at the mo. Waterproof sheet, easily washable duvet, change of bedclothes stacked ready near his bed at all times (with cover already on the clean duvet).

skankingpiglet Thu 21-Jan-21 07:36:56

I agree with a bigger nappy and no doubling up. Is he soaked through by the time you go to bed? If not I would consider 'lifting' him (lift out of bed asleep and put on the toilet). You can also check his nappy at this point and change if necessary, although a pull up might be preferable to a nappy for this. At 3yo we used the night time Huggies pull ups. No issues with leaks, different enough from nappies that DCs were happy to wear them (we called them bedtime pants), and being a pull up meant it was easy if they woke in the night asking to go to get them on the loo quickly without needing to turn lights on. It also meant they could get up and take themselves for that 1st wee of the day. They are expensive at full price, but were often better than half price and I would stock up then - I used to make a special trip to Asda for them as they were on offer there more often than being full price.

Also, is he really fully emptying his bladder before bed? DD1 used to pretend to go to the loo before bed, then inevitably wake up wet (she felt she knew better, and that a pre-bedtime wee wasn't necessary). Why she didn't just do the wee is beyond me, as she would do all the motions of sitting on the loo, wiping, washing hands etc. It wouldn't have taken longer!

Jet888 Thu 21-Jan-21 07:47:38

Thank you so much everyone for advice! Il stop doubling up and try checking him before I go to bed to see if he needs a change. Been reluctant to do that as he sleeps brilliantly and didn't want to jinx with a 6 month old baby also in the house! He's only been leaking last week, before that no problems

OP’s posts: |
Ricebubbles2 Thu 21-Jan-21 08:24:42

CaraDuneRedux

Overnight dryness is controlled by a hormone, not by training/ behaviour/ restricting liquids. With some children it starts to work under 2, almost all are dry by 10 (the NHS doesn't look at nighttime bedwetting till 7 years old because it is absolutely normal if not that common for children to still wet the bed till this age).

Sadly (and I feel your pain, washing duvets is the pits), a bigger tumble drier or the purchase of a dehumidifier is the only answer at the mo. Waterproof sheet, easily washable duvet, change of bedclothes stacked ready near his bed at all times (with cover already on the clean duvet).

Great advice
It can take longer for boys to train.
It will happen eventually, they do get used to the nappy/pull up changes and fall back to sleep.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in