Talk

Advanced search

Nutramigen experiences

(5 Posts)
K8willko Wed 20-Jan-21 09:18:22

Hello there. My baby (almost 15 weeks) was breastfed for 3 months and now we are moving onto formula as he’s a very hungry boy and I cannot keep up with his demand. We’ve tried a couple of formulas, which he hasn’t responded well to as they make him very uncomfortable and grizzly. My doctor has prescribed Nutramigen which we are slowly transitioning over to - he’s currently on 50/50 formula to breastmilk. He seems fine in the day, although he is having very frequent bowel movements. However, of a nighttime he is groaning, very uncomfortable and awake for a few hours and doing one poo after another! Has anyone else had this experience and does it get better? We are currently on day 5. The health visitor said that there’s always a transition period and best to try for two weeks. I’m just worried he’s in pain. I’d love to hear other people’s experiences. Thank you smile

OP’s posts: |
Yolo773 Wed 20-Jan-21 20:46:56

Is there a suspected allergy?

We too have nutramigen and it did make nappies very green and smelly!
If anything, it really helped our little boy as he had a suspected CMPA. The bloating, mucus nappies and gas almost disappeared overnight!

Are you cutting out dairy if you are also breastfeeding?
Nutramigen has very broke down proteins, perhaps your baby can’t tolerate any dairy if they are still in pain?
Are you under a dietician?

K8willko Thu 21-Jan-21 07:11:53

Hiya, thank you so much for replying. That’s really great that it helped out with your little boys issue. Did the nappies go back to normal after a while? Well we had tried a few of the normal formulas and as he couldn’t tolerate them they said that perhaps an allergy was indicated and to try this one. Although he didn’t have any of the symptoms you report - but he was very sicky, had reflux symptoms and very uncomfortable/fussy and constipated. I had cut out dairy previously but then we were still giving him the odd bit of normal formula so perhaps I should do that again whilst I’m still giving him some breast milk. We have been referred to a dietician but that appointment hasn’t come through yet.
Fingers crossed it improves as we are almost at a week of trying. But as you say he might be unable to tolerate any of the cows milk. I have an intolerance to dairy which cleared up since being pregnant (although this was only diagnosed privately so not sure how accurate the test is).

Anyway thanks again! smile

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 21-Jan-21 07:58:37

If it's a suspected allergy, please don't give him normal formula. I've got CMPA and if I have milk it's absolute agony. I think you need to remain dairy free whilst you're still BFing.

Allergy U.K. have some useful information on CMPA here. Do any of the symptoms sound familiar?

Kellymom also explain dairy allergy very well in this article.

K8willko Thu 21-Jan-21 09:03:35

Oh no what I meant was maybe I should cut out dairy again now he’s on the Nutramigen and see if that helps. Sorry that wasn’t very clear. My intolerance was painful enough so I can imagine it’s awful. Thanks for the info, he definitely displays signs and the formula has worsened them in the past. Thanks for your help

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in