Talk

Advanced search

Naps, help!

(5 Posts)
HalfBloodPrince Tue 05-Jan-21 14:25:56

Hoping someone can help with my almost 12 month olds naps!
Until a few days ago his routine was:
Up at 7
Nap 9:30-10:30
Nap 1-3
Bed at 7, sleeps 12 hours

Now he's started not going for his first nap until 10:30 and is sleeping until 12:30. This means he's not tired enough for his second nap until 3:30 which is too late (won't sleep until 8:30 but will then not be up until 8:30 next morning). But being awake 12:30-7 is too long and he gets tired and cranky.

Does anyone have any advice/suggestions?

Oh, I've tried waking him 1/1.5hrs into his first nap but this just means he's tired and grizzly until next nap.

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
Pinkiii Tue 05-Jan-21 14:30:47

My daughter dropped to one nap at 1, we had a similar issue.

Slowly moved her nap time by 15 mins each day. She then napped 11-12:30-1ish and then bedtime was around 6-6:30, then when she started getting less tired moved bedtime to 7 by 18 months.

Dyra Tue 05-Jan-21 15:40:37

Definitely sounds like he's dropping to one nap.

DD did the same at 10 months. Didn't occur to me she might be dropping to one nap until 11 months. blush She immediately started sleeping much better both day and night.

Her nap is now in the afternoon after lunch. She normally sleeps for about 90 minutes. Occasionally about 2 hours. General rule of thumb is she manages 5 hours awake time max in the morning, and about 6 in the evening.

HalfBloodPrince Tue 05-Jan-21 16:54:05

Thank you both!

Definitely sounds like it's time to go down to 1 nap. Will gradually move his nap back until after lunch and see how it goes 🙂

OP’s posts: |
FizzingWhizzbee123 Tue 05-Jan-21 17:07:55

Agree, time to go down to one nap. I’d start by bringing the lunch nap earlier and pulling bedtime forward to accommodate, then slowly pushing it back to normal time. It might mean early meals for a while but kids adjust fairly quickly.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in