Talk

Advanced search

Should I apply for a school place before moving?

(8 Posts)
yarncakes Sun 20-Dec-20 12:14:37

Fingers crossed next year before Sept, I will be moving into my own home but it will be out of the catchment area. I've already applied for DS reception place within the catchment area that I live in at the moment and applications to apply for school plzcdz are now closed. Do you think I can apply for school now in the catchment area I will be hopefully be moving to (late application but I will put in extenuating circumstances), and if, God forbid, this move does not work out, I can just withdraw it? Thanks.

OP’s posts: |
Thatwentbadly Sun 20-Dec-20 13:05:30

In our area you have to apply to the local authority for a school place. Is this in the case in your area? Is the new school in the same or a different Lea?

yarncakes Sun 20-Dec-20 14:20:33

The school is in a different LA.

OP’s posts: |
tattychicken Sun 20-Dec-20 14:21:56

You can't apply from an address you haven't moved to yet.

PlantPotPat Sun 20-Dec-20 14:54:21

tattychicken

You can't apply from an address you haven't moved to yet.

I'm not sure this is correct.

When I applied for primary school places for my son, I lived in town A but was planning to move in with my DP in town B. So I explained this on the form and they accepted this. Both towns were in the same local authority.

Then some years later, when applying for secondary school places for same child, his dad and I wanted him to go to school in the town his dad lives in, a different local authority to where I live. Again, I explained on the form that if he was offered a place at his preferred school, his main residence would then be his dads address. Again, this was accepted.

So it may be OP that you can put a late application in, however, I assume that will cancel out the application you have already submitted so if the move doesn't come off, you may be allocated a space in the new town and you won't even live there.

Thatwentbadly Sun 20-Dec-20 15:54:11

You can’t apply from an address which isn’t yours those. The PP they addresses were owned by someone she knew. If you can apply to the new LEA but I suspect it will be a late application and may not get a place if you out of catchment.

PlantPotPat Sun 20-Dec-20 15:56:03

Thatwentbadly

You can’t apply from an address which isn’t yours those. The PP they addresses were owned by someone she knew. If you can apply to the new LEA but I suspect it will be a late application and may not get a place if you out of catchment.

Ah yes, this makes sense. Ignore me then! grin

mindutopia Mon 21-Dec-20 10:20:04

Usually they will ask you either for your signed tenancy agreement or proof that you have exchanged contracts on a sale to submit your application. So you will have to wait until just before you are ready to move and keep your fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in