Talk

Advanced search

Such a noisy sleeper

(7 Posts)
DisneyGirl2387 Sat 19-Dec-20 08:18:07

My son is 6 weeks old and is on omeprazole for silent reflux and we have seen an improvement which is brilliant. However at night he is the noisiest sleeper ever! He grunts, strains, snorts, cries out, thrashes his legs. I jump up heart pounding, look at him and he is fast asleep! This then repeats until he wakes up to be fed. It is hard to know when he actually is awake and asleep. He seems to stop if we rock his crib. It is keeping both me and my husband awake between feeds. He doesn't make these noises in the day only at night. It honestly sounds like we have a bunch of farmyard animals in the bedroom with us. I'm not sure if he is uncomfortable due to the reflux or if this is just a baby thing. We keep his cot elevated and he is swaddled at night in his sleeping bag otherwise his thrashing arms wake him up. Are we destined to have a noisy sleeper forever?

OP’s posts: |
JingleJohnsJulie Sat 19-Dec-20 09:06:06

I think I'd try to rule out allergies. So give your bedroom and mattress a good Hoover. Then hoover his mattress and wash all bedding at 60 degrees. If he still does it it's unlikely to be dust mites.

Ihaveoflate Sat 19-Dec-20 09:18:07

Newborns can be very noisy sleepers. My reflux baby started to quieten down around 12+ weeks when her digestive system matured.

I wore an ear plug in one ear to drown out some of he noise. I could always tell the difference between sleepy noises and genuine 'i need attention' noises. We also moved her into her own room at 3 months and took it in turns to sleep on a camp bed in there, so at least one of us got a good night's sleep in our bed.

lcdododo Sat 19-Dec-20 09:20:54

Ahhh yes, those first few months of weird sounds.

DS was very much the same. Bizarre sounds.

Slowly stopped and cleared up.

Friend moved their DD into room at 3 months because they couldn't cope

Ticklemynickel Sat 19-Dec-20 11:51:07

DD1 sounded like a farmyard for months. DD2 by contrast, is such a quiet sleeper I keep poking her to check she's still breathing.

DressingGown87 Sat 19-Dec-20 14:39:42

Elephant, strangled chicken, dinosaur, cow, sheep, with odd horse neigh! Is how I’ve described my daughters sleep 😂 she is also on omeprazole for reflux, and is CMPA. No help, but your not alone. She is getting a bit better (9weeks), or I’m just learning to sleep through.

scatterolight Sat 19-Dec-20 15:02:15

I had this with DS. My DH and I called our bedroom Guantanamo Bay. It was absolutely unbearable. I think I got ptsd from the sleep deprivation. Eventually I moved into the spare bedroom and DH stayed in with DS as he was able to sleep through it. The noises got less and less and had gone when he was about 3 months old.

I really feel for you. People with silent sleepers have no idea what it's like. It will pass eventually. Hang on in there.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in