Talk

Advanced search

Getting rid of dummies?

(7 Posts)
Cait73 Sat 21-Nov-20 11:13:23

My gs is nearly 2 we've had a bumpy ride (I have full custody of him) and I've not really worried about the bed time dummy.

He's turning 2 on Christmas Eve I think I need to start thinking about bye bye dummie time?

What age have you all done it and how? I was planning on the dummie fairy but I don't think his understanding is quite there yet?

Thoughts and ideas please, thank you 🙏🏼

OP’s posts: |
Toomanycases Sat 21-Nov-20 11:23:03

From 2 my kids were only allowed them
In bed and the dummy had to stay in the bed.
I got rid in different ways for both. My DD’s was taken when she was about two and a half, the health visitor took it. She missed it at bedtime for a few days but not as badly as I thought she would.
With DS we just kept losing/breaking them. I made little of it and said we’d get more when we went shopping. We just never replaced them and once the last one was gone it was a case of ‘oh yes, we need to pop some on the shopping list’. He didn’t bother at all. I think making little of it was certainly the better way to go in our house.

Disappointedkoala Sat 21-Nov-20 11:25:27

We just went cold turkey. Few rough nights and nap times (did a few buggy walks in the rain!) but didn't ask for dummy after about 2 weeks. All forgotten now 6 months on.

Drbrowns Sat 21-Nov-20 11:31:53

My little girl only took a certain kind of one, and we where down to the last one, and the top was starting to come off so took it one night when she was asleep and told her in the morning the doodie fairy came and took it and if she was good and didn’t cry for it she could choose a toy. She as a bit upset that night and that as that. She got an Elsa doll and was happy out. She only had it for sleep though so didn’t have to get used to not having it during the day.

Cait73 Sat 21-Nov-20 21:23:53

Thank you everyone I feel mildly reassured, my grandson has been through a fair but he has attachment issues but I don't want to make the dummy one of his "issues" as he's not yet 2 I'll not panic for a couple of months, he only has it at night it doesn't leave his cot. And after Christmas I'll take your advice and just not make a bit thing of it. Sounds like it's never as bad as we anticipate. Thanks everyone 🙏🏼

Lazypuppy Sat 21-Nov-20 21:25:53

We reduced dummy down to just sleep time.

Then about 3 months after she turned 2 we did the dummy fairy. Her speech/language/understanding is really good so we could talk to her about ut, dummys go to little babies eyc, you don't need them anymore etc. Then we bought her a special toy from the dummy fairy and she qas fine.

Asked a couple of nights for it but was fine

Cait73 Sat 21-Nov-20 22:05:00

Yes I think I'm going to go with the dummy fairy 🧚

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in