Talk

Advanced search

New baby in the pandemic

(4 Posts)
Sassy14 Sat 21-Nov-20 07:39:09

Hi everyone smile

I'm just looking for some advice really and to see if there are any other parents in the same position as me.

I'm a first time mum and my little girl is now 3 months old. I've suffered with anxiety all my life and it's been made worse since the pandemic has hit.

I started shielding when I was heavily pregnant (as I'm also an asthmatic) as I was so scared to catch the virus and what effect it would have on my baby.

Since having my little one we have not been out and about in society (even before the 2nd lockdown) as I've been so worried for her catching anything with her being so young. We still get out of the house each day to go for a long walk and get some fresh air. We have not seen any family really at all since she was born so she only knows me and her dad

My husband still works with the public so he's seeing people each day whereas I'm stuck in the house everyday not seeing anyone. I see a lot of new parents (prior to lockdown) out and about in shops, baby groups and restaurants but I have been so nervous to take my baby to any of that but I really want to.

All of my family have had the virus (thankfully all okay) and work with the public but I have been feeling a bit of pressure for the last few months from them to get baby out and about more and start mixing her with family and to get back to "normal".

I'm getting to the point now where I feel like she is old enough and no longer a newborn, I feel like I'm going to hinder her development by not seeing anyone or going out into the world if you know what I mean. I'm starting to feel really guilty. I also want to start getting help from family to give me and my husband a break as we haven't had anything since she was born and its starting to get too much. I don't want to waste my maternity leave stuck in the house and starting to feel it's doing more bad staying shut away than it is good. We haven't really been doing any support/childcare bubbles as everyone in the family works with public etc

I really want to get out and about once the lockdown is over.

Please are there anybody that is in the same position can give me any advice? What are other parents doing with babies in the pandemic?

Thank you smile

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 21-Nov-20 08:36:00

Whilst it's important to look after ourselves and the baby I think that your anxiety maybe getting a little too much for you.

What things do you currently do to try and relieve your anxiety?

Sassy14 Sat 21-Nov-20 08:40:11

@JiltedJohnsJulie to be honest nothing at the moment, I don't get a minute to myself so it has been quite hard sad

OP’s posts: |
JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 21-Nov-20 08:53:31

I think I'd work on your anxiety if you can at all. You need to prioritise yourself a little if you are struggling.

What has worked for you in the past?

Could DH have her for half an hour whilst you do yoga/running/guided meditation/chat to a friend over zoom?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in