Talk

Advanced search

Baby swimming in a pandemic?

(9 Posts)
stripey1 Wed 18-Nov-20 20:54:17

Hi, I hope I've posted in the right place to pick new parents' brains.
I'm due early next year and always thought any child of mind would be in the water from day 1. My mum took me to Waterbabies and I've always swum, it's important to me for fitness, safety and fun. I've not swum during pregnancy as I was advised to be careful early on, and I can't wait to get back to it.
But there is the small matter of a pandemic. I'd love to hear from parents of 2020 babies, have you risked taking them swimming when possible or stayed away, in public pools or gyms, has it felt safe if you've taken them? Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
misselphaba Wed 18-Nov-20 20:59:36

I went before lockdown 2 when we were on Tier 2 restrictions. The measures the enter has put in place made it feel very safe. They used a one way system in and out of the centre and reduced the bookings. The baby pool was very quiet with only 2 or 3 other parents with their babies. It felt very safe.

modgepodge Wed 18-Nov-20 21:04:45

I went from July to October, when classes obviously stopped again, I will go back as soon as they open again. Only 4 babies in the class so easy to space out.

On a separate note though, I started mine at 7 weeks and with hindsight I think it was too young, if I have another I’ll wait til probably 12 weeks. She just howled through the classes and got so cold. It was only once she was able to lift her head up during tummy time that she was a bit better.

babblingbrooks Wed 18-Nov-20 21:05:09

Yes I have been when the pools were open and it felt fine. I would wait a few weeks post birth for everything to heal up for you 🙂

stripey1 Thu 19-Nov-20 20:36:15

Thank you all, that's encouraging to hear.

Yes I didn't mean day 1 day 1! But its useful to hear when you recommend to start. Thank you.

sanityisamyth Thu 19-Nov-20 20:38:44

My DS started when he was 6 weeks old. Granted not this year (he's 6 now) but he's an amazing swimmer and I wholeheartedly recommend Water Babies for so many reasons.

ShirleyPhallus Thu 19-Nov-20 20:39:58

We have been on the waiting list for ages cos it keeps closing down and opening up again. Would recommend to try and get on the lists ASAP, for everything including stuff like baby sensory too

stripey1 Sat 21-Nov-20 09:30:12

Sanityisamyth that's nice to hear.
SP thanks for the tip. I've not heard of baby sensory, will have a google.

clareykb Sat 21-Nov-20 09:35:15

My girls started from 12 weeks and were 6 weeks prem. They are now 7 and their swim school has been running in tier 2 restrictions and seems very safe. My slight worry about some baby classes is that they tend to be in warm hydro pools at special schools etc and I'm not sure they would let them operate. Ours was in a care home so I doubt that is back up and running so whilst I'm sure it is safe they might lack venues and have a longer waiting list. Also, I would look at locally run baby swimming as well as the big franchises they are often cheaper. If you are in the north east I can recommend one but sure they exist all over!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in