Talk

Advanced search

Gave my baby out of date vegetables

(29 Posts)
hate2020 Tue 17-Nov-20 22:03:04

I’m weaning my six month old baby and am making my own vegetable purées. I gave her some carrots today (I was cooking some for my own lunch and did extra for baby). However, I’ve just been cleaning out the fridge and spotted the best before date on them was 6th November. I’m now so annoyed that I didn’t check this earlier and am worried that I could have made her ill sad

OP’s posts: |
whatwouldyoudo85 Tue 17-Nov-20 22:03:57

She'll be absolutely fine, don't worry about it.

dementedpixie Tue 17-Nov-20 22:04:32

If they were still firm and didn't look manky when you prepared them then they are fine. Vegetables have a best before date not a use by so quality reduces as they get older. They are not dangerous

mynameiscalypso Tue 17-Nov-20 22:04:40

Did they taste okay to you? If so, they'll be absolutely fine. You'd have noticed if they'd gone off because they'd be all mushy and slimy. Your baby will be absolutely fine.

Fruggalo Tue 17-Nov-20 22:05:00

Absolutely fine - vegetables aren’t like meat or fish or dairy, you can tell if they’re mouldy and you’ll be absolutely fine eating them.

BertieBotts Tue 17-Nov-20 22:05:03

They're vegetables, if you buy them loose they don't even have a date on them.

It will be fine.

WishUponAStar88 Tue 17-Nov-20 22:05:29

If they looked fine they’re fine. No BBE date if you buy loose/ from a farm etc anyway

Fauvist Tue 17-Nov-20 22:05:35

Most vegetables last loads longer than they say on the packet. Your baby will be fine.

DramaAlpaca Tue 17-Nov-20 22:06:58

I never even look at use by dates on vegetables. If the carrots looked fresh enough for you to want to cook them, they were absolutely fine to eat. You can tell a manky carrot very easily.

You haven't harmed your baby, no need to worry.

lurker101 Tue 17-Nov-20 22:07:27

Absolutely fine. Unprepared vegetables don’t go off for a very long time. I would happily eat Early November carrots until Mid December -later if they’re not mushy/blue

JanetPudding Tue 17-Nov-20 22:07:42

Do you have anxiety generally, OP?

hate2020 Tue 17-Nov-20 22:10:54

Thank goodness, thanks everyone. They tasted perfectly fine - I ate a few raw ones before cooking and they were lovely and crunchy. I was just concerned as presumably babies have much more sensitive digestive systems than adults!

rottiemum88 Tue 17-Nov-20 22:15:08

hate2020

Thank goodness, thanks everyone. They tasted perfectly fine - I ate a few raw ones before cooking and they were lovely and crunchy. I was just concerned as presumably babies have much more sensitive digestive systems than adults!

But sensitive to what? They're vegetables. If they didn't look or taste off to you then they weren't off. Vegetables don't spoil the same way that meat does.

dementedpixie Tue 17-Nov-20 22:16:47

I dont look at dates on veg either. They either look and taste ok or they dont

JuliaJohnston Tue 17-Nov-20 22:19:34

The dates are completely arbitrary. If they haven't gone off, they're still fine. Greengrocers / butchers / bakers don't date stamp their produce, and people still manage not to poison themselves.

veryfuckingpeeved Tue 17-Nov-20 22:21:17

I wouldn't worry, if they had gone off they would be manly and bendy. I don't check the dates on veg, if they look fine then I use them.

veryfuckingpeeved Tue 17-Nov-20 22:21:37

Manky. Not manly 😆

JuliaJohnston Tue 17-Nov-20 22:22:16

I did wonder 😁

PhylisPrice Tue 17-Nov-20 22:23:11

I have new potatoes in my cupboard thay went out of date in August, look and smell completely fine. They will still get eaten....

FinallyHere Tue 17-Nov-20 22:25:04

The dates are essentially to make sure retail outlets sell the oldest first. If they smell and taste ok, they are ok.

TheSunIsStillShining Tue 17-Nov-20 22:35:49

if something is off/wrong the stomach will reject it within 3 hours. Humans have some nice self defense mechanisms smile
With babies it's minutes

Disappointedkoala Tue 17-Nov-20 22:38:49

I draw the line at (completely) mouldy but anything up to that point is fine in terms of veg and fruit I think! I've never had food poisoning off a dodgy carrot.

Angelik Tue 17-Nov-20 22:42:26

Soon your baby will be licking shoes. You won't be worrying about veg!

hate2020 Tue 17-Nov-20 22:49:12

Thanks everyone. She’s my PFB but still, I’m feeling a bit silly now! blush

Chloemol Tue 17-Nov-20 22:50:25

Please come on, loose fruit and veg don’t have dates on them, you just judge if they are ok. Also best before dates are guides, it’s the dates that they remain best, but you can use them after with no issue. It’s use by dates you need to consider as that normally will mean food will go off within a couple of days

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in