Talk

Advanced search

Mindfulness for children - recommendations

(9 Posts)
Indecisivelurcher Sun 18-Oct-20 20:16:01

Can anyone recommend an app maybe, for children's mindfulness? Something that I can work through with my 6yo Dd.

OP’s posts: |
Thatwentbadly Sun 18-Oct-20 21:19:23

In my previous role as a psche teacher I spoke to lots of people about mindfulness in school and the general consensus is it’s not good for children as it can make them become too focused on negatives.

Indecisivelurcher Sun 18-Oct-20 21:23:28

Really? How come? Perhaps I've said mindfulness when I mean meditation.

I'm looking for a way to help my Dd with managing negative thoughts at bedtime, mostly. She says bad thoughts come into her head and is worried that she can't control them.

Thatwentbadly Sun 18-Oct-20 21:27:28

Mindfulness is about being in the present and focusing on the present and it can mean children stay focus on their current negative thought.

Ceebies have a yoga series - something about a tent. It might be worth seeing if that cover mediation.

Indecisivelurcher Sun 18-Oct-20 21:29:26

She's a planner, she has to do lists that keep her up at night, running through them and worrying, she's a bit of a worrier generally, not very empathetic in some ways but extremely nostalgic herself, not confident in some ways, won't accept praise, ran off when we sang happy birthday today. I suppose I'm seeking something to help her settle in herself.

AdriannaP Sun 18-Oct-20 21:29:34

Cosmic kids yoga - it’s an app and on youtube. It’s brilliant, some videos are yoga and others about mindfulness/meditation. My 5 year old loves it.

doadeer Sun 18-Oct-20 21:30:37

The calm app has bedtime stories which could be nice and relaxing. Cosmic yoga do classes for children... You could try yoga

Thatwentbadly Sun 18-Oct-20 21:38:31

Indecisivelurcher

She's a planner, she has to do lists that keep her up at night, running through them and worrying, she's a bit of a worrier generally, not very empathetic in some ways but extremely nostalgic herself, not confident in some ways, won't accept praise, ran off when we sang happy birthday today. I suppose I'm seeking something to help her settle in herself.

Can she keep a note pad by her bed and write it down/draw a picture of it.

Indecisivelurcher Sun 18-Oct-20 21:48:37

Good idea.

And Cosmic yoga and the calm app. Have just found that headspace do one for kids too. But I'll have a look at it myself first on basis of advice here.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in