Talk

Advanced search

16 week inmunisations

(14 Posts)
mummy1214 Tue 06-Oct-20 18:28:18

Hi so my daughter has just had her 16 week injections. I know that there is a high chance she will develop a high temperature as it's the Men B vaccine and I know I can give her calpol. Question is can I alternate calpol with nurofen (she is 16 weeks) ? I forgot to ask the nurse and when I rang the chemist the woman I spoke to just read me the back of the calpol bottle which just tells you calpol doses she never asked the pharmacist then she put the phone down.
Thanks in advance x

OP’s posts: |
Rubyroost Tue 06-Oct-20 19:08:01

No, why would you want to? Ibuprofen doesn't keep temp down, paracetamol does.

Rubyroost Tue 06-Oct-20 19:12:30

Actuary you are right. It can reduce temp. I would just follow advice and take the paracetamol though. I'm not sure why you would want to alternate with ibuprofen. I have always found calpol sufficient to keep the temp down.

Suzi888 Tue 06-Oct-20 19:15:46

Why don’t you check out the NHS website, it says

“give them liquid paracetamol or ibuprofen for children to bring their temperature down“

If they have a high temperature... I didn’t give mine pain relief as she didn’t seem bothered.

RubaiyatOfAnyone Tue 06-Oct-20 19:16:40

Ibuprofen is just as much an antipyretic as paracetamol AFAIK?

OP - i seem to remember the booking letter advises 2x calpol doses, so i would stick to that for such a young baby. The only time i would use calprofen is for a really high temp where i needed to alternate within the re-dose window, and then only on medical advice. You shouldn’t experience that sort of a fever from the jabs, and if you do call 111 and take advice.

cptartapp Tue 06-Oct-20 19:23:41

3 doses of calpol (four to six hourly) regardless.
Can continue paracetamol up to 48 hours if pyrexial (not exceeding 24 hour doseage limit). Contact the surgery for further advice if still concerned thereafter.
Practice nurse.

mummy1214 Tue 06-Oct-20 19:38:52

Thank you. I have no intentions of giving her any calpol or anything unless she develops a temperature. I was only asking as I know with older children you can alternate if needed (as told by doctor when my older 2 have been poorly with high temps in the past) so wanted to ask if anyone knew if it was the same with babies.

mummy1214 Tue 06-Oct-20 19:40:43

cptartapp

3 doses of calpol (four to six hourly) regardless.
Can continue paracetamol up to 48 hours if pyrexial (not exceeding 24 hour doseage limit). Contact the surgery for further advice if still concerned thereafter.
Practice nurse.

Thank you very much for the advice.

HelloRose Tue 06-Oct-20 19:41:27

A friend who is a nurse said to give Ibuprofen if temperature still hasn't come down after Calpol. I've never had to use it for vaccinations. Always stuck to x4 doses of Calpol in 24hr period (4-6 hrs apart).

Suzi888 Tue 06-Oct-20 19:46:26

@mummy1214 sorry op the site says (I think) give calpol to prevent the high temperature in the first place. Check it yourself though and ^^ I think that’s a nurse up there so may be she knows for sure. Either way calpol wont do any harm. The site says you can alternate too if the calpol doesn’t work. Gosh I think I need an early night lol hope your little one settles on for you.

mummy1214 Tue 06-Oct-20 19:55:32

Thank you all for your advice. So far so good no temp and she is still quite happy in herself. She had had 1 dose of calpol so far and that was because the nurse said to give her it after her vaccines. I shall just stick to the calpol if needed and if any problems I'll phone the doctor.thanks again

doireallyneedaname Tue 06-Oct-20 21:13:47

The campos helps prevent a temperature, which is why it’s advised to give it straight after the jabs and not wait until they develop a temp.

Rubyroost Tue 06-Oct-20 22:07:33

@mummy1214 the 3 doses are supposed to be given, not if needed. That is to keep the temp down even if temp is okay after first does. Then a 4th dose if needed. Space 6bhours apart if you think temp is under control, but the advice is to give even of there's no temp after first dose.

mummy1214 Tue 06-Oct-20 22:27:08

Rubyroost

*@mummy1214* the 3 doses are supposed to be given, not if needed. That is to keep the temp down even if temp is okay after first does. Then a 4th dose if needed. Space 6bhours apart if you think temp is under control, but the advice is to give even of there's no temp after first dose.

Thank you yes after reading the NHS website that is what I'm doing x

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in