Talk

Advanced search

Struggling with baby growing up

(6 Posts)
ChelseaCat Mon 28-Sep-20 21:59:46

I’m really struggling with my 9MO baby growing up.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m immensely proud of the milestones he’s hitting and just how bloody adorable he is (he gets more delicious every single day) but I’m mourning him being a tiny baby. I miss the long cuddles, even the ones at 3am, and his long naps on me. I miss breastfeeding. I love his growing independence but miss him needing me so much.

I know he’s still teeny tiny really but I’m finding it upsetting and a really confusing time. Can anyone relate?!

OP’s posts: |
Lonzo Mon 28-Sep-20 22:15:00

I can relate. I had a bout of this just before my 16mo’s 1st birthday. It coincided with him becoming more mobile (so less attached to me) and starting childcare (i.e. also less attached to me). I felt very sad for all that was being lost, and how quickly those early days had disappeared. I think it’s normal - even healthy? - to feel like this. Time goes so fast and it’s sobering to remember that. Hopefully more long cuddles when he stops zipping about so fast. He’s beginning to realise that it’s nice to lean against me when he gets tired! Anyway I do sympathise.

Mybobowler Mon 28-Sep-20 22:19:12

I can completely relate to this. My daughter is 20 months now and I have a wobble every couple of months at how fast she's changing. I look back at pictures from a year ago and I barely remember it, it's so fleeting. The irony is that I found parts of her first year intolerably hard, I honestly hated some of it.

It helps to remember how many wonderful stages there are ahead - you've got a lot to look forward to. It's also really motivated me to get better at keeping a record of things - milestones, special memories. But yes, the old cliches are true and I completely understand how sad it feels.

... I guess that's why, after months of swearing she'd be an Only, I'm now desperate for another one!

firstimemamma Mon 28-Sep-20 22:21:20

I can relate and ds is 2 now! Such a big boy now!

MuchTooTired Mon 28-Sep-20 22:28:16

I do sometimes. I look back at their pictures and videos of when they were teeny tiny and wish I’d enjoyed it more. It was utterly exhausting and the pnd was horrible, but I didn’t know then that I’d never have another newborn or baby and now it’s gone.

They are adorable toddlers now and they still want their mama. They give kisses and cuddles and they’re just so scrumptious 😍

ChelseaCat Mon 28-Sep-20 23:02:08

Thanks for the replies - it’s nice to know that other people have felt like this. I know there’s lots more to look forward to and I’ll try to focus on that when I’m feeling sad

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in