Talk

Advanced search

Autism - when did you know?

(6 Posts)
doadeer Fri 25-Sep-20 16:32:21

Posted in SEN but not sure how much traffic there is

I'm sure there's threads on this but I find the mn search functionality a bit tricky to find good stuff .

My son is 20 months, I suspect he has symptoms of autism. At first we thought he was just a quiet, chilled out character but as time goes on he is very far from the milestones.

He doesn't have any words bar mama and dada which he has said from 10 months. He makes no attempt to copy any words at all. Lots of noises mainly mmmmmm type noises (particularly when he is frustrated)

He doesn't respond to his name, point at anything, follow instruments, play with other children. It's very hard to know what he understands except if I'm telling him not to do something ie climb on the table or eat a stick. He will stop immediately which suggests it's not a hearing issue. If I saw let's change your nappy or put your coat on, he won't show he understands.

Play wise he mainly likes to explore by himself and just wants to read all day long. We have about 10-15 books we regularly read, eg tiger who came to tea, jolly postman, peace at last etc. Sometimes he wants these 8 times in a row.

Would love the experiences of anyone who has gone through similar. I did call HV but she said wait for 24 month check and gave me a website about communication tasks. I try to do lots of these things but he never ever responds to me.

OP’s posts: |
notroundthebend Fri 25-Sep-20 20:32:41

Hello, thought I'd offer my experience as a mum of two boys of autism. This sounds very similar to my first born.. so chilled out people often commented on what a good baby he was. I'd point out aeroplanes in the sky and he just didn't get it! I had no knowledge of Autism at that point but looking back there were many pointers. Fixation on certain books being read over and over, clothing items needing to be worn or carried at all times. Loud noise was a huge no, I could hoover or blow dry my hair!! Someone mentioned autism to me.. I googled and my eyes were wide. Doctor was dismissive at 2.5 yrs and I was forceful and we got on a list for assessment. Diagnosed aged 3 I was floored! By which time no.2 was already born and the similarities were glaringly obvious. That said he's a very different child entirely 😆 go with you hut and push for assessment. What's the worse they can say? No your child doesn't have autism or yes your child does , whatever the outcome it's still your child.

doadeer Fri 25-Sep-20 20:39:13

Thank you that's so so helpful. My son is very smiley and easy going that family members have been surprised when I've said it (as if you can't be these things and have autism?!?) but he really does seem to fit the profile in so many ways.

Can I just check, who refers for assessment?

How did it change your parenting style / expectations? I find he gets very irritated if u try to get him to repeat words - I'm never sure whether to pull back all together or keep trying with flash cards etc.

Really appreciate you taking the time x

notroundthebend Fri 25-Sep-20 23:04:49

Oh I was told many times .. he seems so normal. I referred my son for assessment, I kept a log of things that I felt were useful to back up my reason for assessment. But like a jigsaw puzzle, no two children with autism are the same but the signs however small form a picture. Tip toe walking, loud noise, unfamiliar routes or changes to routine, the early years we're actually quite difficult looking back.

The repetition of certain toys / lack of imaginative play was also evident. It became quite restrictive looking back.

Here I am two boys aged 7&9 happy boys, but different but amazing kids. Academically well above average, don't fit the norm but they never did!

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't be afraid if you have even the slightest suspicion. My first child was almost non verbal until age 4.5.. will talk to anyone now! The other a walking professor of science, absolutely fascinating mind. Nothing ventured nothing gained! Go with you gut and get early intervention, it's absolutely key not just for the child but for you. Knowledge is power. Ask me anything, I'm happy to help x x

hiredandsqueak Fri 25-Sep-20 23:41:56

With ds I knew there was something wrong from his first days and HV recorded my concerns at 6 weeks. I knew it was autism at 15 months and he was diagnosed at two and a half.
With dd I was determined to enjoy her and not look for signs. I had my first niggle when she was five months, I suspected at eight months and knew at twelve months and dd had a diagnosis by her second birthday.
Having older children I suppose highlighted how different they were to how they had been. They were though like chalk and cheese from each other dd was incredibly passive and quiet, she used to be mistaken for a doll as she was so still and quiet. Ds though screamed constantly and was never still and completely fearless. He climbed door frames and fences, he could clear our six foot fence in minutes before he was three. He liked lights and things that spun and water and any play was repetitive and lengthy. He later, at about two, liked letters and numbers and taught himself to read before he was two and a half.

doadeer Sat 26-Sep-20 10:21:25

It's so tricky because obviously repetition and routine are common with little ones.

Regarding language, were your children ever frustrated they couldn't vocalise?

How do you go about getting an assessment, through the GP?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in