Talk

Advanced search

Starting formula at 20 weeks.

(11 Posts)
momo20 Tue 15-Sep-20 08:55:17

Hi all,

I've been exclusively breastfeeding for the past 20 weeks and now I would like to introduce a bottle of formula as I'm unable to express and it would make it easier to feed my baby when we are out.

Do you have any tips to help baby accept the bottle?

Thanks!

OP’s posts: |
BuffaloCauliflower Tue 15-Sep-20 08:58:54

I hope this doesn’t come across snarky, but the easiest way to feed a baby when out is a boob. No carrying bottles or formula, figuring out how to heat up the bottle, etc etc. Boobs - just sit down somewhere (or not, feeding in a wrap whilst walking works too) whip one out and get on with it. Using formula will make it harder to feed when out of the house. I’m not sure I understand your reasoning?

BuffaloCauliflower Tue 15-Sep-20 09:00:08

Or do you mean when someone else has the baby and you go out?

Indecisivelurcher Tue 15-Sep-20 09:01:48

I switched to formula when my Dd was 5m. It was hard going. I think it took about 3 weeks of trying several times every day, trying all the bottles under the sun, my mum would come over every day to try because people say it needs to be someone else who doesn't smell of breast milk. In the end she took her first bottle off of me. It was a munchkin latch bottle and cow & gate formula but I don't feel like that was key, I think it was just persistence. And the fact that my milk supply was pretty wiped out by a stomach bug in the end. Make the milk warmer than you might think.

However also just to say that I'm not sure formula feeding is easier than breastfeeding when you're out and about, in fact i would say it's the other way round. Unless you're feeling very embarrassed about feeding in public, which would be a shame. Obviously bottles do mean that someone else can feed though.

God luck op!

momo20 Tue 15-Sep-20 12:32:55

Thank you for your responses. I've tried to bf in public but I've just found it to be a really uncomfortable experience, lots of people staring, and when wearing a nursing cover my ds just pulls it off. I originally wanted to exclusively bf for the first 6 months but I feel like it might just be easier to give him a bottle when we are out.

OP’s posts: |
CrazyKitkatLady Tue 15-Sep-20 14:51:43

I think you can get covers with a clip on so your DS can’t pull it off?
I’m sorry you’ve been made to feel so awkward about feeding in public
I’ve found feeding with others in public (our antenatal group) really built up my confidence for when I’ve had to do it by myself, do you have any mum friends who are feeding still who could help?

Sorry I don’t have any bottle advice as I’ve not used one

KatieKat88 Tue 15-Sep-20 15:44:38

I've been bfing DD for 10 months and I still hate it out and about, lockdown has ruined my confidence! That said, I'd ditch the cover as it is more of a faff and makes it more obvious. Do one up one down (t shirt and vest top underneath etc). Practise feeding in front of a mirror and you'll see what others will (probably less than you expected). I try to feed before we go out or find somewhere as quiet as possible as DD has serious FOMO now grin

Indecisivelurcher Tue 15-Sep-20 16:08:42

If you want to try bottles then just try, it's basically out of your hands whether you're lo will take one or not, entirely depends on their personality I think!

Indecisivelurcher Tue 15-Sep-20 16:10:00

I felt much worse formula feeding in public than breastfeeding, I felt (probably wrongly) that people were judging me for not breastfeeding for longer. Such a complex emotional subject!

Russell19 Tue 15-Sep-20 16:22:40

Do not feel awkward about feeding in public! Ditch the cover and I bet it feels like people are staring bit theyre probably not.

user1471523870 Tue 15-Sep-20 16:37:55

Have you tried? As my little one just accepted it (both formula and bottle) when he went to nursery at 9 months. He didn't show any signs of being confused by it.
He was breastfed to that point, but he kind of liked the novelty of it. There were no problems for the nursery staff (and occasionally dad if out and about) to give him the formula in a bottle and me carry on breastfeeding from 4pm to 9am.

He used to have the standard powder formula at nursery, however as it was just a rare occasion at home, we used to buy those little bottles/cartons of ready made formula for when needed. It was mostly for when I wasn't around (like gym visit or hairdressers appointments etc) or he needed a feed in a place I was too uncomfortable doing it (not many, but still it happened to be stuck in a queue or with unsuitable cloths etc). No fuss.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in