Talk

Advanced search

7 month old advice

(8 Posts)
Dexy2020 Fri 04-Sep-20 09:40:19

Hi
All I seem to do is post about sleep 😴😂My little boy is 7 months old and hes getting up earlier and earlier, most mornings this week have been 4:15am but today was 03:40am!! I've ruled out hunger as I can give him a bottle and he won't go back to sleep and he will happily sit around and not cry for a bottle when he wakes up, he won't be resettled and I've tried leaving him but nothing seems to work. Day looks a bit like Nap 1 at 7am, Nap 2 at 10/10:30am and Nap 3 around 2:30/3pm bed at 18:30/18:45 as he is so tired from being up so early (Total day naps 2hrs 30mins-2hrs 50 mins). I'm finding the 3rd nap really difficult as he will only sleep if we go out in the car. He drinks around 25-30oz of milk a day and is doing really well with solids. We're due to go away on Monday for 4 nights so will plan to try and change what I'm doing if needed when we get back. Any advice on how I can structure our day to help him out a bit?? Thank you. Im wondering if giving him a nap at 7am is reinforcing an early wake but after being awake nearly 3 hours he is definately ready to sleep (Nap 1 can be anything from 40-70 minutes) xx

OP’s posts: |
crazychemist Fri 04-Sep-20 14:00:51

Phew, sounds grim!

No amazing advice, but can you just try gradually shifting e.g. by 10 minutes a day? Shift the whole schedule, so his meals and everything. If you try to make big changes, I suspect you will end up with an over-tired baby, which makes everything a nightmare, but I bet you could keep him up 10 minutes later without a consequence.....

Squashbanana1 Fri 04-Sep-20 14:13:23

Hi there, oh sleep is such a massive topic I swear for the whole first year! It seems like he is ready to drop a nap and go to 2 a day? - your first day might be difficult but could you try and make the first nap at 9am? How is he if he doesn't have a nap at 7? Do you think he can last a bit longer? A nap at 7am I think would encourage the early wake ups even more. Good luck mumma whatever you do! We are all just trying to wing it smilex

Dexy2020 Fri 04-Sep-20 18:50:32

@crazychemist I think your right, I need to knock his body clock out of sync, maybe the holiday will help to take him out of his routine xx
@Squashbanana1 I think I could probably push it to around 8amish maybe?? 2 naps a day would be perfect hoping it will happen for us soon, 1 less to mither about hehe xx

FizzingWhizzbee123 Fri 04-Sep-20 19:30:22

Could just be the 8 month sleep regression hit a bit early? Might just need to ride it out for a bit and it could pass and you’ll find baby has suddenly mastered a new skill.

avidteadrinker Fri 04-Sep-20 19:36:36

Our little one did this but not every night, he did thankfully grow out of it after a month or so but he is generally just an early riser, we go to bed at 9pm to make sure we get enough sleep!

Dexy2020 Fri 04-Sep-20 19:46:47

@FizzingWhizzbee123 actually he is desperately trying to crawl and he can now stand holding onto the settee bless him xx
@avidteadrinker totally with you I'm asleep most nights by 20:30pm haha xx

FizzingWhizzbee123 Fri 04-Sep-20 19:49:11

Ah ha! I’d put money on that contributing. We used to call these “brain farts” with my DS. Learning new skills hit his sleep hard, and then one night it would just pass and suddenly he could do something new, like crawl.

Early starts really suck and maybe a schedule tweak would help, but I wouldn’t panic that this is a “forever” issue just yet. Hang in there!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in