Talk

Advanced search

Keeping 6 month old in his own cot

(6 Posts)
Rachaelf37 Mon 31-Aug-20 17:32:02

Hi, my baby didn't sleep well until about 2/3 months old then for a month or two he slept from 11pm till 5am. He's breastfed. He then went backwards in his sleep and now wakes up all through the night. I got really tired and fed him in my bed. Now I really struggle to keep him in his cot. He screams and won't have a dummy and feels around for me. I'm not sure how to settle him back into his own bed and he's spending more and more time in mine 🙉 My partner often sleeps in the spare room now. He just can't seem to settle without me. Any ideas? He has sleep aids, a hedgehog that glows and plays music. It sometimes helps.

OP’s posts: |
Thesearmsofmine Mon 31-Aug-20 17:51:38

Is there a reason he needs to be in his cot?
He is so tiny and wants to be with his main comfort which is you. I would just carry on bed sharing, it’s very normal.

Rachaelf37 Mon 31-Aug-20 17:54:51

I'm just scared of squashing him or accidently suffocating him, especially if my partners in the bed too. I try and arrange things obviously do that doesn't happen.

OP’s posts: |
Thesearmsofmine Mon 31-Aug-20 17:56:44

Have you looked at the guidelines to make it safer? Another option is having his cot as a sidecar cot next to your bed.

I know some would suggest sleep training but it isn’t something I was ever comfortable doing with my dc.

JamieFrasersSwingingKilt Mon 31-Aug-20 17:57:25

Maybe start just for his nap times and then build up.

Ohhgreat Mon 31-Aug-20 18:00:50

Honestly - what you're describing is a normal 6 month old baby!
If you really want them to stay in their cot then the suggestion of starting with naps in the cot is a good one.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in