Talk

Advanced search

Child family member caring for baby

(7 Posts)
Hunterdean85 Fri 28-Aug-20 16:30:59

Hi I am looking for people thoughts I have an 11 year old cousin she is amazing and always helps out changing diapers feeding my son etc but a few days ago I caught her bathing my baby son now she is very mature for her age and has a baby sister of her own and dhe changes baths feeds etc but I was shocked when I found her bathing him when I asked why she was bathing him she said you have been to work so I thought I would help by bathing him I was uneasy but just said OK thank you now like I say she has a 9 month baby sister and foes everything for her and dhe does it correctly she even shouted at her brother who is 14 as he was changing his sister's diaper and I heard stop you need to put a finger between her ankles when you lift her legs and wipe from front to back and remember to put the diaper rash cream on so she knows what to do but what's people's opinions should I be worried about the responsibility she has

OP’s posts: |
Tacca Fri 28-Aug-20 16:59:33

She might be amazing, very helpful and a fantastic child but how is she in an emergency.

The reality is she probably wouldn't know what to do if the child was choking, cpr, see danger before it happens or assess all the risks of the home. She won't understand everything that you will, such as the relationship between electricity and water. Even the most amazing children make bad decisions, simply because they don't know any better. The worst one they make is not telling anyone what has happened, in case they get in to trouble.

It sounds like the 11 year old has been left in a house alone with a baby, which is a very silly thing to do. Even if there is an adult in a different part of the house, you always need to be aware of what they are doing.

Lockdownseperation Fri 28-Aug-20 17:02:21

Why is she with for baby long enough for her to be able to bath her? Why are you getting her to change your baby’s nappy?

Yes at 11 she should’nt have to be doing everything for her baby sibling.

Aquamarine1029 Fri 28-Aug-20 17:05:15

If you were present, how was she able to get to the point of bathing him without you knowing? Tell her very clearly she isn't to do anything without asking for permission first.

dicksplash Fri 28-Aug-20 17:06:27

I'm not sure what you are asking tbh. She sounds a great help to her mum and you for sure and so long as she is supervised then there is no problem. How did she manage to get to the point of bathing your child before an adult noticed? I wouldn't be happy about that.

SnuggyBuggy Fri 28-Aug-20 17:07:51

It sounds like a supervision issue to be honest

Letsallscreamatthesistene Fri 28-Aug-20 17:18:33

Was there not another adult present? It sounds as if you left her on her own with the baby, for long enough that she assumed you werent going to be back for bath time.

She sounds like a great help, but the 1st poster has it. Does she know what to do in an emergency? Id probably let her take the baby upstairs for a nappy change by herself and id let her do feeds if she wanted, but id always want to be within shouting distance at the absolute minimum if anything went wrong.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in