Talk

Advanced search

What type of shoe for new walker?

(12 Posts)
zoidforth Wed 22-Jul-20 15:29:54

I am having a nightmare trying to find some shoes for my daughter who has just started walking. I had her measured at Clarke's (4.5 G).

Is it okay for them to be in this navy canvas type shoe (attached) or should it be the type with more flexibility (dinosaur shoe attached). I like the latter but they don't have her size. There is more option in the flatter footed type. I don't want to just choose shoes that look good over what it best for her and walking if that is the case.

Can anyone help?

Also when she walked in the ones she tried in the shop, she walked like a dog with shoes on grin I feel to just have her in barefeet/socks as often a possible?

OP’s posts: |
SuperSange Wed 22-Jul-20 15:32:03

Mine wore those mocassins with the socks attached for ages. Or barefoot. If there's no need for shoes, I wouldn't worry too much.

SuperSange Wed 22-Jul-20 15:32:42

When he did get shoes, they were first walker ones from Clark's, the soles were very flexible

NannyR Wed 22-Jul-20 15:36:55

It's fine to keep them in socks or barefoot when they've just learnt to walk, especially in the summer. There's no rush to put them in shoes, despite what Clarks/Start rite may tell you.
The very soft leather slippers are good if you think they need something for parks etc (daisy roots and inch blue are two brands, but there are loads of others(

geekaMaxima Wed 22-Jul-20 15:42:54

Flexibility all the way.

Early walkers need foot protection from wet and cold, not support of any sort. Socks are fine indoors unless they slip on wooden floors etc. Something as minimal and flexible as possible is best for outdoors.

Same goes for toddlers, older kids, adults...

geekaMaxima Wed 22-Jul-20 15:48:29

Also, Clark's are rubbish and there's nothing special about their foot measuring service. Most of their children's shoes are too stiff in the sole, too narrow in the toe box, and have a heel rise.

Do https://www.happylittlesoles.co.uk/products/girls/footwear/first-shoes.html and check out first shoes from here (free returns):
your own measurements

geekaMaxima Wed 22-Jul-20 15:49:49

Oops - meant to give this link for soft early walkers:
https://www.happylittlesoles.co.uk/products/girls/footwear/pre-walkers.html

modgepodge Wed 22-Jul-20 17:49:51

My daughter got fitted for her first pair of shoes recently. She wasn’t super confident so I was in 2 minds but I wanted her to have something when we were at Playparks etc. I got soft soled ones from Clarks. When she first walked in them in the shop she looked really unsure but within just a few days she is so much more confident and having them means we can play outside more which gives her way more practise. We still stay barefoot whenever possible though!

zoidforth Wed 22-Jul-20 18:34:30

Thanks everyone! Yes will buy shoes as we like to go out in all weather. Ill get soft sole and she just won't looknas cool haha

Footlooseandfancy Wed 22-Jul-20 19:36:28

Those canvas ones from Clarks are really stiff - brought some last year and ended up binning them because they were rubbing DDs feet. Had much more success with leather Clarks ones that are softer and bend more easily.

FizzingWhizzbee123 Wed 22-Jul-20 21:21:28

We bought proper first walker shoes from Start Rite. There’s plenty of time for cool shoes when she’s older, supportive and practical is what’s needed now. Also agree to only use shoes when needed outside. Barefoot without socks is absolutely the best whenever possible for new walkers.

zoidforth Wed 22-Jul-20 22:37:45

Thanks so much all!

I've ordered some roamers from Clarke's and will use them only for outdoors and wet or in public areas. Other than that I'll have her in bare feet or socks. She can have cool shoes when she's older. Ha. Much appreciated.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in