Talk

Advanced search

Working holidays

(4 Posts)
Apple35 Tue 21-Jul-20 20:01:32

Hi there

I am a nurse and just away back to work in September. Doing 3 days a week when i get back. But it is likely i will have to end up working Christmases etc... How do you guys work around it and do you feel bad if you are someone who has to work it?
I know a lot of people work holidays etc and i never thought much of it before but now that i have the little one it starts to be on my mind.

OP’s posts: |
LouiseTrees Tue 21-Jul-20 22:27:31

It’s likely that you’ll either need to do New Years or Christmas each year and should be on a rotation, although it depends how many nurses are employed on your ward. My mum was a nurse for 40 years, we just did Christmas on another day on the Christmas work years and it was no biggy. Although I’d suggest doing it Christmas Eve or before rather than Boxing Day or later, so that if you are visiting any family your LO already has their gift. Also re the big meal, we would have that on the holiday day (Christmas or New Year) that she wasn’t working and have my grans round too.

Breadandroses1 Tue 21-Jul-20 22:32:04

My mum was a nurse when we were small and I honestly can't remember that she often wasn't there for half the day etc. We used to do the big dinner on another day.

winetime89 Tue 21-Jul-20 22:43:43

I work one xmas on one xmas off. I'm not going to lie -it is hard!
the xmas I have to work I tend to over compensate on presents and family activities before xmas, but it never feels as exciting. luckily I've never had to work xmas morning so I've always being there to see them open their presents but I do sleeps so il start afternoon xmas day through to the afternoon Boxing Day.
it's my xmas off this year and I'm so happy like one less thing I need to worry about.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in