Talk

Advanced search

How close an eye do you keep on dcs when they're out front playing?

(19 Posts)
KerryMum Fri 28-Sep-07 16:35:23

I live on a small cul de sac with lots of kids about. Cars going round can be a problem as there's no parking bay and cars park everywhere.

boys are 4.10 and 8.9 and I pretty much let them run around within set parameters and don't watch them like a hawk, especially if they're out back.

StUnTmAnTaLcY Fri 28-Sep-07 17:10:37

it was like that where i lived in Bedford, kerry......
My dds only tiny then....but others got together and persuaded the council to put up speed bumps, children were always running out betwwen parked cars.

lornaloo Fri 28-Sep-07 17:13:51

I would keep a v close eye on the younger ones, but thats because Im a VERY paranoid person. I would just imagine the worse the whole time. Luckily ds is just 2 so no need to worry for a few years.

lornaloo Fri 28-Sep-07 17:14:13

*worst

KerryMum Fri 28-Sep-07 17:16:47

Well there's speed bumps coming into the estate but none on the cul de sac (very small). It's the running between parked cars that I'm most worried about cause they dont think to look once they're running around chasing each other and I've seen many close calls out there (thankfully only one with mine, who at almost 9 should know better)

fryalot Fri 28-Sep-07 17:17:34

I do keep quite a close eye on them when they are playing out front, but I don't really need to because I can hear them grin

KerryMum Fri 28-Sep-07 17:18:50

grin

Yep. Mine too!

MellowMa Fri 28-Sep-07 17:19:12

Message withdrawn

OrmIrian Fri 28-Sep-07 17:20:09

None at all these days. DS#1 is 10 and goes to neighbours houses and the park or plays in the street. DD is 8 and is more or less the same. If they go elsewhere I need to know where and with whom and they take mobiles which they must answer on pain of death. 4 yr old doesn't go out - although he has been to the park with neighbours teenage son and daughter once.

KerryMum Fri 28-Sep-07 17:21:00

No Mellow - Just wondering as I can watch the whole estate from my desk upstairs and as Squonk said, HEAR them but I do worry sometimes. There's some here that just open the door and let their under-twos wander around.

But no one sits outside all day watching their kids play, especially the older ones. Was just wonderng if this is the norm.

niceglasses Fri 28-Sep-07 17:21:24

I have a nearly 7 yr old whom I let free in the street only. I worry but I've done it now and feel I can't go back - he is one of the youngest out unsupervised.

5 yr old and 3 yr old only allowed out in garden - but do sneak out if I'm not there.

Tricky.

niceglasses Fri 28-Sep-07 17:22:15

You're in Ireland aren't you?

Spent a lot of time over there as dh Irish. Different over there - more laid back about outside play I think yeah?

MellowMa Fri 28-Sep-07 17:28:52

Message withdrawn

lornaloo Fri 28-Sep-07 17:30:39

I lived in a cul-de-sac before I moved here. There were always children out playing one as young as 2. His mum would sometimes sit out and watch him with her friend whilst drinking a can of stella (classy) but more often than not he was out unattended. Many close encounters with him ruuning out infront our car. I found that really shocking and totally irresponsibe of his mother.

pointydog Fri 28-Sep-07 17:40:42

I'd be fairly relaxed with kids the age of your, kerry.

When my dc were 6ish to 7, they would be out of my sight for about hour at a time.

KerryMum Fri 28-Sep-07 17:50:23

Yes, Ireland. And small town. It's the cars I worry about most though...

KerryMum Fri 28-Sep-07 17:51:06

We have a huge back garden as well Mellow but they're always clammering to go out the front. Even though I let them have their friends round back...

LIZS Fri 28-Sep-07 17:53:32

They don't - main road. Even when we lived in a close they didn't often and only when we were watching.

niceglasses Fri 28-Sep-07 18:03:01

Yes cars with me too. I'm not worried about strangers, sorry just not, but I do worry very much about cars. Its not a main road, but traffic at rush hours etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now