Talk

Advanced search

Formula to cows milk transition

(9 Posts)
Brieminewine Mon 29-Jun-20 11:07:29

So DD has just turned one, the HV has said I need to take her off formula and get her on cows milk but she's not very keen! She eats really well but still has 5oz formula on a morning and 7oz on a night. I've tried to introduce cows milk at mid morning and mid afternoon in a soppy cup but she's not interested in it at all! Did anyone else face resistance? And do you have any tips for the transition? Thank you!

OP’s posts: |
dementedpixie Mon 29-Jun-20 11:11:51

You could try mixing small amounts of cows milk with formula and then gradually increase the proportion of cows milk e.g. 1oz cows to 4oz formula, 2oz and 3oz, etc. It doesnt have to happen all at once

KaTetof19 Mon 29-Jun-20 11:20:19

We did what dementedpixie suggests. Mixing the cows milk and formula together then slowly reducing the amount of formula being added.

I think formula has a sweetened taste which is why the transition is tough with some children.

Brieminewine Mon 29-Jun-20 11:37:48

Ah great idea, thankyou!

Lockdownseperation Mon 29-Jun-20 14:52:14

She doesn’t need to drink cows’ milk. She needs 350mg of calcium a day.

Brieminewine Mon 29-Jun-20 17:19:15

Really? She gets loads of calcium loves cheese and yoghurt, I never liked milk from being really young but the HV was insistent that formula be replaced with cows milk.

dementedpixie Mon 29-Jun-20 17:26:30

Around 300/350mls of milk or 2-3 portions of dairy is recommended from 1 year . Milk in cereal, yoghurt, cheese, etc all count towards this total

dementedpixie Mon 29-Jun-20 17:27:49

I think PP meant they don't need to drink cows milk or other milks if they are getting calcium, etc from other sources

Lockdownseperation Mon 29-Jun-20 21:15:28

Sorry yes that’s was I meant. My girls are allergic to cows milk and DD refused and alternative milk for a year. Her paediatric dietitian said it was fine as long as got 350 mg of calcium.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »