Talk

Advanced search

Do you give your baby calpol for teething?

(32 Posts)
Gettingonabitnow Mon 22-Jun-20 13:14:40

Hi

My 6 month old DC2 has been teething since she was 2 months old and she is beside herself. By that I mean frantically gnawing and manically going from one teether / arm / toy to another to gnaw. I am giving her Nelsons sachets twice a day but I’m not sure it does much. She doesn’t have a temp. She just seems in the type of discomfort you would imagine someone with toothache to be in.

We didn’t have this really with DC1. Do you give yours calpol when they are like this? To take away the pain that is.

Thanks Hey

OP’s posts: |
Gettingonabitnow Mon 22-Jun-20 13:15:30

Not sure what the Hey is doing on the end 🤦‍♀️

Harrysmummy246 Mon 22-Jun-20 13:21:41

Yes we did.

I'd take paracetamol if I felt like that....

TinnedPearsForPudding Mon 22-Jun-20 13:23:29

Yes, I don't like being in pain. If I think my child may be in pain then I will try to relieve that pain.

nannyplumsmagranny Mon 22-Jun-20 13:27:43

Yes

Beamur Mon 22-Jun-20 13:27:45

Yes. There's nothing intrinsically bad in giving your baby appropriate pain relief when they're distressed and in discomfort.

Cardboard33 Mon 22-Jun-20 13:30:59

Yes, we do.

Does she have any teeth yet? Mine was teething from about 10 weeks and then produced 6 teeth within the space of a week at around 7 months. By his 12 month review he had 12 teeth with more on the way, which the HV said was the most she'd seen on a one year old hmm

mynameiscalypso Mon 22-Jun-20 13:31:20

Of course, I don't really understand why people don't (although I found that baby ibuprofen was better for teething)

Bagelsandbrie Mon 22-Jun-20 13:32:11

Yes.

I’d take paracetamol myself if I was in pain so why deny my child the same?

GracieLane Mon 22-Jun-20 13:32:25

Sometimes. I try alternatives first like granules, teething toys, baby bonjela, if none of that works then calpol of course.

Goyle Mon 22-Jun-20 13:35:52

Yes, definitely. My baby had a terrible time with her teeth. I gave her calpol if all else wasn't working.

BobbyTheVetIsMyHero Mon 22-Jun-20 13:46:56

100%- though our nursery never would which really bothered me

moonlight1705 Mon 22-Jun-20 13:48:00

We give baby ibuprofen as it seems to work better for teething and then the usual teething rings etc.

BobbyTheVetIsMyHero Mon 22-Jun-20 13:48:06

And frozen teethers (any kind, not just the ones with gel in) are a godsend while it's kicking in!

Gettingonabitnow Mon 22-Jun-20 13:55:50

Thanks. I definitely will. I personally have no problem taking paracetomal etc however my other half never takes it (I’ve seen him take it once in ten years with flu) so I think a bit of that has rubbed off on me with the kids.

burritofan Mon 22-Jun-20 19:38:05

Yes, of course. It helps her settle better than trying to saw through the cot bars with her jaw. She's got 16 teeth at 13 months and we had some patches where it seemed as though she grew 800 in the space of a week. The nights we gave calpol she slept better, less restlessly, and was happier in the morning for it. If I were frantically crying and jamming my fist in my mouth I'd want some pain relief too.

Thank god all we've got to go are back molars and those are on their way judging by the gnaw marks in everything.

modgepodge Mon 22-Jun-20 19:53:02

Absolutely. As others have said, if I was crying with pain I’d want some paracetamol. I’ve never found anything except anbusol or paracetamol/ibuprofen works for teething. At night paracetamol makes her go back to sleep better than anbusol. I use anbusol more in the day.

OhioOhioOhio Mon 22-Jun-20 19:55:56

Yes.

Rainallnight Mon 22-Jun-20 19:57:49

Your DP is a grown man. Please don’t inflict his hang ups about pain relief on a little baby.

HavelockVetinari Mon 22-Jun-20 20:00:35

we had some patches where it seemed as though she grew 800 in the space of a week

grin

Sorry, that made me laugh (in solidarity)! Nicely phrased.

summerrose11 Mon 22-Jun-20 20:05:54

God yes. DS was dosed up on it quite alot when he was teething at night time. It helped

iamtheoneandonlyyy Mon 22-Jun-20 20:05:53

I used to be very wary of giving medication with my first. Now I'm on my third I just hand her the bottle.

Clearly a joking exaggerationgrin

BabyLlamaZen Mon 22-Jun-20 20:09:58

There's such a small amount in there and if you're like mine, they spit a fair bit of.l it out! It really helps them though. Plus once mine turned 6 months he liked the sweet taste.

Newbiehere123 Tue 23-Jun-20 09:28:49

My 14 month old has got 3 cutting through right now and he tends to feel the pain during the evening, so I give him a dose of calpol as it helps to settle him. I've also been worried about whether I give him too much calpol but as the other posters have mentioned, if I feel pain or discomfort around my own body I would also take paracetamol.

stargirl1701 Tue 23-Jun-20 09:30:47

With DD1, no. Tried all the teethers, powders, gels, etc.

DD2 got ibuprofen.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in