Talk

Advanced search

Sertraline hand hold please

(16 Posts)
Sparrow234 Tue 09-Jun-20 12:08:16

Hi,

First post so please be kind. I won’t bore you all too much with the backstory. My son is 6 months old and is EBF.
A mixture of stress and anxiety during pregnancy, a traumatic birth and a very poorly baby have lead to PND and anxiety.

I’ve been in contact with GP basically since birth and she prescribed sertraline a long time ago but long story short - I didn’t take it.

Things are such now that I feel I have no other option. My partner is supportive and has stuck by me through these hard times, he’s not about to run off or anything but our relationship is in tatters. I’m an anxious irritable angry mess and my boy is picking up on it and I want to be better for him.

I can’t stop breastfeeding - son has complex allergies and refuses formula. We both love breastfeeding and it’s got me through my darkest moments knowing that he needs me for food and comfort. Neither or us want to stop.

I’m bedsharing at the moment (yes following guidelines safely) and the GP has reassured me this morning that it’s safe to continue and take sertraline.

I just feel incredibly guilty that some of this drug will go into my baby. I want to get better but I can’t bring myself to take it. I know I need to take some action to keep our family together and make sure my baby keeps the mum he deserves.
What are people’s experiences? Are you breastfeeding on sertraline without any issues? Is your baby ok? Is the improvement worth the sacrifice of allowing it into your milk? Did it make anything any better?

I’m on the waiting list for talking therapy.

OP’s posts: |
thisisfarfromideal Tue 09-Jun-20 12:26:17

I am on setraline and breastfeeding. I had my youngest in March 2019. I'd only given birth 14m previously. Both extremely demanding children. Youngest has never slept through the night, awake for feeds 4x minimum. Neither have ever taken to bottles.

Long story short, I ended up exhausted, depressed and anxious. I was constantly crying and clinging to my sanity.

I was prescribed 50mg in November and I'm so glad I was. It's had no effect on my son but a big effect on me. It took a couple of weeks to take effect but it took that horrible anxious feeling away. I'm no longer upset daily. It's not a miracle and I'm not swinging from the light shades but I needed it.

I think it has reduced my libido (but let's be honest, it's more likely having 2 small children!) and I would definitely recommend taking it first thing in the morning or you may struggle to sleep at first.

My doctor put it across that the benefits of taking it were far more important to mine and my babies health and well-being than any possible effect on the baby.

thisisfarfromideal Tue 09-Jun-20 12:28:01

Oh and I also co sleep (following current safety guidelines for any of the parent police)

Sparrow234 Tue 09-Jun-20 12:35:19

@thisisfarfromideal your youngest sounds like my son. I’m glad you’re feeling better. Thanks for sharing. It’s nice to know there’s light at the end of the tunnel and it gets better.

Harrysmummy246 Tue 09-Jun-20 15:38:29

Amount that gets into BM is minimal. Son was BF (not quite EBF ) with sertraline in my system from about 9 weeks til he stopped at 21 mo

I wouldn't have been able to cope AT ALL if i hadn't taken it but I was much better after DS stopped and I had doseage increased

thisisfarfromideal Tue 09-Jun-20 16:37:21

There is light @Sparrow234 and you'll find it too. If you have any questions please feel free to pm me xx

Sparrow234 Tue 09-Jun-20 19:20:45

Thanks everyone

Sparrow234 Thu 11-Jun-20 10:20:44

So I did actually start taking the medication this morning .... although absolutely terrified myself with the list of side effects. They look horrific!
What are people’s experiences of side effects? I feel a bit woolly headed this morning but nothing else yet. Please be honest even if it’s unpleasant. I’m aware I’m at home with a small baby alone for long periods while DH works shifts. Not like I can call on family Or friends atm.

Harrysmummy246 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:37:25

I know it's a while since you posted but I had nausea and nightsweats

First time I took it, pre baby, insomnia too but no chance of that when he was newborn

How are you doing now @Sparrow234

Sparrow234 Thu 18-Jun-20 11:46:41

Hi,

Not doing too bad... I think it’s day 8 or so now - I still feel a bit sick and still struggling with insomnia but the first two days ( which were absolutely horrid - felt drunk / on drugs) seem to have been the worst.

I don’t think I’ve seen any improvement in my mood or anxiety yet. I know it can take 6 weeks but I was hoping to see some improvement a bit quicker. Never mind.

My DS had bad nappies day 4-7 and a rash on his back day 6. GP thinks it shouldn’t have been the sertraline. Hopefully it was just teething ( another tooth cut the gums this week). Any experiences?

Thanks for checking in!

Harrysmummy246 Mon 22-Jun-20 13:16:47

Only thing that DS ever had bad nappies from was the week we were both on antibiotics

oh and teething, yep

I think you'll probably start to notice some change soon- it won't be a massive lift, just a bit more able to cope, a bit less of the anxiety etc

FirstTimeMother88 Mon 22-Jun-20 21:24:40

How are u OP?x

formyboys Mon 22-Jun-20 21:29:56

I've been on it for years. You should feel an improvement soon, just go with it. Side effects are really minimal after the first werk or two and then you will feel less anxious I promise. It is a brilliant AD and I intend to take it always!

Sparrow234 Tue 23-Jun-20 09:34:34

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for checking back on me - how lovely and supportive!

So it’s been almost two weeks now and the side effects aren’t so bad. A bit of an upset stomach still at times and my interest in sex is zero (lucky DP - not) - but hoping if my mood picks up it will be worth it and things might get back to normal when I’m feeling better.

I’m still not feeling any different in my mood / anxiety. Had a huge meltdown yesterday after going to supermarket alone leaving DS with DP - I have huge anxiety leaving him.

Tried to call DP to check everything was ok and he wasn’t answering. Huge melt down later, I was literally beside myself - I rush home to find they were playing peakabo and DP phone was on silent from work still.

Face palm moment.

I’m willing to give it a little longer. I hope things pick up soon.

motherofawhirlwind Tue 23-Jun-20 10:40:02

Just wanted to flag one side effect given the weather this week - it makes you much more susceptible to sunburn! Slap on plenty of sunscreen smile

Sparrow234 Tue 23-Jun-20 12:41:21

👍 thanks for the heads up!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in