Talk

Advanced search

Okay So... I just spent an hour in the bathroom with my hand up my.... erm, yes thats right, I just bought a MOONCUP!!! HELP ME!!!!!

(98 Posts)
Dabbles Sat 22-Sep-07 15:03:49

argh...

okay, so...

a) Thing stem still feels too long, its 'scratching' but u am too scared to cut any more off? !!

b) I cant cut in a straight line? (wtf is that all about???) could this be makign it scratch??

c) I keep hearing squelching/suction noises?? (tmi, sorry..)

d) should i be able to 'feel' that its there so much??

e) do u have a special saucepan ?? where do u keep it??

f) general advice please!!!

Dabbles Sat 22-Sep-07 15:04:42

oops wrogn section!!!

FrannyandZooey Sat 22-Sep-07 15:07:17

a) b) and d) Just cut off as much as you can, you should be able to get it out by bearing down and squeezing manually to release the suction. If you can feel it, it is probably the tail still scratching you, plus you may have it in slightly too low.

c) you should hear this when it goes in and out. Otherwise I don't think it should be moving around. Have you run your finger round the edge to check it has properly uncurled inside you? There should be a good seal and it should fit nicely.

e) no I just use any one It's all boiled, after all and it's been thoroughly washed first anyway - it's going to be sterile

Tatties Sat 22-Sep-07 15:09:53

Ok Dabbles, it can take a wee while to get used to. The first time I tried it I had to take it out and reinsert a few times to get the stem cut to a comfortable length. I ended up taking the whole thing off, which is fine; I find you don't really need that to take it out, I tend to pinch the bottom of the Mooncup instead.

You shouldn't be able to feel it when it's in, maybe you have not inserted it high enough?

If you're getting a bit flustered with it, have a break, and try again later when you are more relaxed, after a bath maybe?

Tatties Sat 22-Sep-07 15:11:47

I do have a special pan (an old one that was never used), but I just keep it in the kitchen cupboard.

FrannyandZooey Sat 22-Sep-07 15:12:36

blush

I am pan filther

no-one will ever eat in my house again

FrannyandZooey Sat 22-Sep-07 15:13:11

[defensively]

some people put theirs in the dishwasher

at least mine's only in a pan, you are safe with a cup of tea in my house

MamaGabriellaMontez Sat 22-Sep-07 15:14:11

note to self: never go to frannys house to eat

FrannyandZooey Sat 22-Sep-07 15:14:56

note to self: cross MamaG off guest list

Dabbles Sat 22-Sep-07 15:17:17

Thank you for your 'sensible' replies...

(hmm@saucepan - think i will buya cheapo one! )

arghhh.....

Tatties Sat 22-Sep-07 15:21:18

LOL

I get your reasoning, it will be sterile. It wouldn't bother me eating something that had been in contact with a clean, sterile Mooncup pan; but I feel funny about potentially contaminating my Mooncup with food. Does that make sense? Probably not totally rational but you know I'm a bit weird.

MaloryTowersJudgyJudgyJudgy Sat 22-Sep-07 15:22:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FrannyandZooey Sat 22-Sep-07 15:27:42

Oh Tatties I love that

clean your saucepans a bit better you dirty mare wink

Tatties Sat 22-Sep-07 15:40:13

My saucepans are pristine I'll have you know wink

Malaleche Sat 22-Sep-07 20:44:09

Try twisting it round so it `spins´ inside you, as it were, that makes it unfold and seal properly. It´ll get easier with practice.

pampam Sat 22-Sep-07 22:00:09

pan filther! ROFL
I shall watch this thread with interest as i've had a mooncup for about 2 years but never yet got the hang of it.blush

TinyGang Sat 22-Sep-07 22:04:24

I'd be so terrified to try one of those things. What do you do if you can't get it out??! And suction? Does it make a noise like a sink plunger when it comes out? Eeek!

hunkermunker Sat 22-Sep-07 22:05:53

I found I was letting mine "unfurl" too high up, so it leaked a bit. It takes a while to get the hang of it. I think I was only truly happy with mine last month (although was pretty pleased with it - it just leaked a bit) and I've had it about five months.

Malaleche Sat 22-Sep-07 22:17:13

Tinygang - at the risk of putting any prospective mooncuppers off - yes, it does make a noise like a sink plunger, sometimes, but since you don´t need to empty them half as often as you would have to change a tampon you rarely have to empty them in a public loo!

Dabbles Sat 22-Sep-07 23:12:59

lol

NannyL Sat 22-Sep-07 23:18:50

to add to

e) I dont have a saucepan... i have a small tupperware type container thing that i fill with milton solution and sterilise it that way.
(have herd of people who accidently let their saucepans boild dry which damages mooncup... i just KNOW i would do that... it doesnt matter if i soak it in milton for too long!)

teasle Sat 22-Sep-07 23:24:36

What does a mooncup look like?

Malaleche Sat 22-Sep-07 23:28:07

http://www.mooncup.co.uk/menstrualcupwhatisit.html

Malaleche Sat 22-Sep-07 23:28:39

sorry! www.mooncup.co.uk/menstrual_cup_whatisit.html

pinkspottywellies Sat 22-Sep-07 23:28:44

Teasle it look like a huge scary plastic wineglass with a stem but no base. But it's not as scary as it sounds grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now