Talk

Advanced search

Starting to leave 1yo

(4 Posts)
Russell19 Fri 05-Jun-20 17:06:32

Hi, I'm due to return to work soon after maternity leave. Wanted a bit of advice about how to start leaving my baby with grandparents (obviously when allowed). Before lockdown he seemed really settled when left with one set of grandparents but not the other.... is it best to work up gradually or just leave them for a full day so they can work it out together?

Any ideas or examples of what other people did would be great. It seems much worse as he hasn't seem them at all for 10 weeks.

OP’s posts: |
SnowdropFox Fri 05-Jun-20 17:55:45

I'd do it gradually if your lo isn't used to being away from you. Our nursery did it over a month gradually increasing it but others do it in 3 sessions. Find the balance you need and see how your lo (and the gps) react.

Russell19 Fri 05-Jun-20 18:06:02

@snowdropfox before lockdown he just used to cry and I don't know how to make it easier for him. I could try an hour or two then up it but what if he just cries the whole time?

OP’s posts: |
SnowdropFox Fri 05-Jun-20 18:16:37

He will get used to it. Harsh as that sounds. My lo cried for the first 6 months I dropped her at nursery and a bit less with gps. Luckily only for a little while.
The key for us was distraction. Having a favourite book, a bird in the garden, the gps dog. Anything to distract her from me leaving. I didn't really say goodbye in the morning as it would set her off big time.
Whenever I picked her up nursery and family they said she'd be fine most of the time but occasionally cry when she remembered I wasnt there.
It didn't last forever thankfully! Shes 22 months now and getting droppedoff doesn't phase her at all.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in