Talk

Advanced search

Too early for jumperoo?

(14 Posts)
foxcote90 Wed 27-May-20 16:57:37

Hi there,

Would love to know thoughts from other parents. Our little girl is just 9 weeks old but seems to have abnormally strong legs! She can hold herself upright and squat when being held (pretty much unaided) by us, and so we were thinking of getting her a jumperoo so she could keep practicing standing up.

Problem is that all advice I've seen suggests starting at 4 months at the earliest...

Am I getting ahead of myself getting her one already, or is it ok to just get her started in one since she's clearly a little ahead strength wise?

Thanks smile

OP’s posts: |
Strangerthingshere Wed 27-May-20 16:58:46

I waited till ours were about 4 months to make sure they were supported enough.

Pantheon Wed 27-May-20 16:59:21

I'd wait until 4 months at the earliest to be on the safe side

spicelader Wed 27-May-20 17:02:30

My dcs legs barely touched the ground in it at nearly 4 months.

Letsallscreamatthesistene Wed 27-May-20 17:04:11

My son is the same as your DD. At this stage its a reflex rather than anything they have any control over.

He can sit with cushions to prop him up and has amazing head control, but im waiting until he can sit unaided before I introduce anything like that.

foxcote90 Wed 27-May-20 17:08:37

@Letsallscreamatthesistene that's helpful to know, thank you! Will wait a bit longer in that case then smile

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Wed 27-May-20 17:38:43

I'd go with 6 months at least.

WhatASadLittleLifeJane Wed 27-May-20 20:08:30

We waited until four months and he loved it. I would wait until she has better neck control.

MsChatterbox Wed 27-May-20 20:20:28

We tried at 3 months my son was also really strong. Now I look back at videos and cringe a bit with him wobbling!! Deffo would wait till 4 months.

Bringonspring Wed 27-May-20 20:23:56

Deffo wait, their legs might seem strong but their neck certainly isn’t, you could really cause damage.

RainbowMum11 Wed 27-May-20 20:55:47

It's more neck strength than legs which is why they recommend a min of 4 months

foxcote90 Thu 28-May-20 07:37:18

Thanks everyone that's really helpful! We'll definitely wait in that case until she's 4 and see how she's doing then smile

MsSquiz Thu 28-May-20 07:47:12

DD started using hers around 3.5 months, but with a box under her feet as she couldn't reach the floor. Her arms would just go down by her sides and she would just stand in it, not bounce. (We would try her for a few mins every couple of days to see if she was ready)

It wasn't until she was nearer 5 months that she actually started bouncing, feet on the floor and playing the toys attached to the jumperoo

Selfsettling3 Thu 28-May-20 12:10:15

It depends on the child, by 7 months my kids could crawl and were nolonger interesting. I would say 4 months at the very earliest and they need to be able to comfortable support their own head for 10 minutes. I can’t remember when the can do that.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in