Talk

Advanced search

8 month-old weight gain worry

(2 Posts)
lineandsinker Tue 26-May-20 11:45:04

Hi,

I’ve got a DS, 8 months, who has seemed to have jumped up the weight percentiles since starting on solids.

He was 7lb15oz / 3.6kg at birth - the 50th percentile. He dropped down to the 30th percentile in the weeks / months after birth and stayed there until we started weaning at 6 months.

He’s now 8, nearly 9 months, and since starting solids, the weight gain has been fast and furious. Sometimes, it’s as much as 500g per fortnight. He’s now 9.8kg and on the 90th percentile for weight. He’s 25th percentile for height and always has been. Lots of people now commenting that ‘he obviously enjoys his food’ 🙄.

When the health visitor gave advice about weaning, she told me that if his weight jumps more than one percentile line, that I should look at portion sizes as I’m probably giving too much food.

Should I be concerned that I’m over feeding him? I weaned him at 6 months and he took to food really well. Everything is freshly cooked. He has 2x 8oz bottles each day plus three meals of a main and some fruit or veg - the evening meal is a main, fruit and yoghurt. He finishes everything I put in front of him and will cry for more if still hungry.

He started crawling at 7 months and spends most of his time cruising at the moment but all this movement hasn’t slowed his weight gain.

I’m probably being all PFB about this so feel free go tell me to give my head a wobble!

Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
PrayingandHoping Tue 26-May-20 14:18:39

That doesn't sound much milk for a baby under 1. The min they should have is 500ml to get all the nutrition they need.

I would say more milk and then he may not want so much solids

I would give your HV a call for advise

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in