Talk

Advanced search

Getting 3 year old to take medicine

(13 Posts)
eggofmantumbi Fri 15-May-20 11:12:43

I desperately need to get my 3 year old to take her laxative powder. She can taste it in water/ milk which is all she will drink. We tried sprinkling it on her cereal my
and just general bribery. Nothing works!!!
Any miracle suggestions?

OP’s posts: |
Bert2020 Fri 15-May-20 11:18:28

My niece is much older but says it tastes horrible and only has hers in juice as it masks the flavour. Would a yoghurt work maybe?

ProfInkly Fri 15-May-20 11:23:25

What is it she is on? My 3yr old was prescribed laxido but wouldn't take it. It tastes salty. Now I buy Dulcosoft which does the same thing but doesn't have the taste. But it depends what she needs and how much of it.

OnlyJudyCanJudgeMe Fri 15-May-20 11:28:32

We have to mix my DD’s with a bit of cordial.

eggofmantumbi Fri 15-May-20 11:28:50

It's cosmocol- doctor advised a sachet a day to begin with.

I haven't tried yoghurt yet, mostly just because she tastes it in bloody everything, but it's worth a go.

eggofmantumbi Fri 15-May-20 11:29:53

She won't drink cordial unfortunately (generally it's fab she drinks loads of water and only likes water and milk but I really wish she'd drink something sweet enough to disguise it now.)

eggofmantumbi Fri 15-May-20 11:30:28

@profinkly is dulcosoft tasteless?

Neighneigh Fri 15-May-20 11:39:22

Does she eat toast and jam? Maybe sprinkle it on the toast before you put the jam on. Or mine will take pretty much anything if there's watermelon involved...

eggofmantumbi Fri 15-May-20 11:49:52

Tried watermelon juice this morning- that was a no.

She's a butter fiend so won't usually have Jam on toast. She's a pain!

OnlyJudyCanJudgeMe Fri 15-May-20 12:07:09

Worst case scenario (we had to do this a few times at the beginning), mix it up and use a Calpol syringe and just squirt it into the pouch of her cheek until she swallows it all. You usually have 24 hours to drink it all.

eggofmantumbi Fri 15-May-20 12:17:57

Good point. We might have to do this

ProfInkly Fri 15-May-20 12:35:01

Yes dulcosoft is tasteless (I tried it grin). Have a look at the Movicol Mummies Facebook page. There's lots of good advice and lots of people in the same boat.

eggofmantumbi Fri 15-May-20 13:37:18

Brilliant, thank you!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in