Talk

Advanced search

What's for lunch today? Take inspiration from Mumsnetters' tried-and-tested recipes in our Top Bananas! cookbook - now under £10

Find out more

Please tell me I am not the only parent to let my sons wear tights...

(86 Posts)
TiramisuTartsandPiesInOrbit Mon 17-Sep-07 23:31:29

?

Am I?
It is getting cold. I always put tights (navy) on my sons under their trousers in winter. I think I am the only one.

Do children need tights in addition to trousers when it is freezing cold in winter?

I think they do.

MaryBleedinPoppins Mon 17-Sep-07 23:33:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Monkeytrousers Mon 17-Sep-07 23:34:21

How about calling them long johns instead?

TiramisuTartsandPiesInOrbit Mon 17-Sep-07 23:40:09

Long Johns, eh? Like, without feet? And socks on top?

That is more "manly" isnt it?

Monkeytrousers Mon 17-Sep-07 23:42:02

I am sure they don't discrinimate in arctic regions - but here they are still a bit soft and southern obvioulsy.

Long johns and socks is a good compromise grin

Tortington Mon 17-Sep-07 23:45:00

i did for the babies 'cos tey pull socks off.

pfor a school age child i would assume that one would open their child to all sorts of ridicule.

TiramisuTartsandPiesInOrbit Mon 17-Sep-07 23:46:20

Oh believe me if I take them to arctic regions they would wear wool knit trousers between the tights (long johns) and the "external" trousers! I am really scared of the cold.

SleeplessInTheStaceym11House Mon 17-Sep-07 23:49:30

i did with my ds as a baby same as i did with dd, wouldnt now tho even though hes only 10mo! then again i dont put socks or shoes on him even now its getting colder! shock

PeachesMcLean Mon 17-Sep-07 23:51:03

Keep your kidneys warm and you'll be fine wink

In other words, your legs will be fine if you've got a decent coat. And shoes. It's not THAT cold.

Califrau Mon 17-Sep-07 23:51:41

MaryBleedinPoppins Mon 17-Sep-07 23:54:25

Monkeytrousers Mon 17-Sep-07 23:55:53

Okay here in Gateshead

mylittlefreya Tue 18-Sep-07 06:56:15

If your feet are cold put a hat on.

How old are they? Maybe not school age, but littlies, I think it is sensible.

Piggy Tue 18-Sep-07 07:27:30

When it's really really cold (below freezing) I put the dses in tights (from Gap with a teddy bear on the bottom - as if that makes a difference!) but they are toddlers. I wouldn't do it after about 3 though. A vest and thick socks will do the trick.

Threadworm Tue 18-Sep-07 07:30:33

I wouldn't bother. At school age they would be teased. Also, my DSs seem to have little furnaces inside. They can run around in a t-shirt when I am muffled up, and I have to work v hard to get them to countenance coats on even the coldest days.

InMyHumbleOpinion Tue 18-Sep-07 07:32:00

I am a big fan of tights, but not on boys over 3. Other children will tease him.

tigerschick Tue 18-Sep-07 07:38:43

My nieghbour's ds wears tights under his riding trousers in cold weather, as do a lot of the other men/boys who ride through the winter.
But in normal circumstances I totally agree that it is not necessary - socks and thick tousers should be fine.

tigerschick Tue 18-Sep-07 07:39:57

Sorry - typing fingers not yet woken up properly hmm
trousers and neighbour

CorrieDale Tue 18-Sep-07 07:50:19

I did it with DS for his first, very cold, winter. It was very cold and he wasn't gaining weight. I'd have done it last year too - and if necessary, will do it this year. If he lets me grin.

potoroo Tue 18-Sep-07 08:12:09

I decided to put tights on DS last winter and will do so this winter - but he is only 2.

Budababe Tue 18-Sep-07 08:19:30

I did when DS was a baby and we were living in Bulgaria and it was -10 and then only if we were out and about for a long time.

Wouldn't imagine anywhere in UK cold enough to warrant it in September!

firsttimemama Tue 18-Sep-07 08:23:31

Footballers wear tights these days -so if he likes them to keep warm let him wear them.

Bluestocking Tue 18-Sep-07 08:26:16

I used to put my DS in tights when he was a baby. I don't know if I'd do it now - I suppose if we were going to be outside for a longish time on a very cold day I might. It seems to be a purely cultural thing to worry about this though, I know German boys wear tights, and don't skiers wear them too?

OrmIrian Tue 18-Sep-07 08:31:31

hmm

How old is the poor boy grin

I think you might be the only one tiramisu...

OrmIrian Tue 18-Sep-07 08:32:48

I might add that my DD doesn't either.

Warm socks, good shoes and plenty of layers on the top half.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: