Talk

Advanced search

To leave my 2 yr old?

(10 Posts)
crazybutkind Tue 07-Apr-20 08:46:18

What age did you leave your child to play alone?

My daughter is 2 and a half and she has a play room upstairs.

Am I putting her in danger if I leave her to play upstairs alone. I have a baby gate across the door. All doors open and a monitor in the room so I can hear her and see her.

It's for my own selfish reasons I would be able to get some washing up done and general house chores if she was playing upstairs.

Am I asking for an accident?

Tulipstulips Tue 07-Apr-20 08:51:41

I wouldn’t leave her on a different floor to me at that age. In a different room on the same floor, so say folding laundry in my bedroom while she was in her bedroom... yes. And if we were both downstairs I might pop upstairs to grab something, but I wouldn’t do chores on a different floor.

Tulipstulips Tue 07-Apr-20 08:52:08

I’m quite risk averse, though.

OuterMongolia Tue 07-Apr-20 08:54:07

I think it would be fine. However it wouldn't have worked for my DC as they would have been calling out for me so I'd have spent all my time running up and downstairs. But if yours is happy to play independently for a while then I wouldn't see a safety issue with this.

CaryStoppins Tue 07-Apr-20 08:54:58

My 2.5 year old has the run of the house except for the kitchen. She plays in the garden on her own too. She is my 3rd child though grin

BrooHaHa Tue 07-Apr-20 08:55:48

I don't do that, but then my living room is also a gated 'safe zone' so I just put mine in the safe zone on the relevant floor. I tend to get washing up done while she's doing activities in the kitchen with me- yesterday she did colouring and sorting pom poms- but mine is younger than yours.

MsChatterbox Tue 07-Apr-20 08:56:56

I would definitely do this especially with a monitor on her! So long as you are looking at it frequently. For my son whenever he goes quiet I just shout out you OK? And if he responds then all is good! You've got to be able to get some housework done.

Desmondo2016 Tue 07-Apr-20 08:58:59

Yes I would. Although fourth child here so probably wouldn't have the gate or the monitor.

Troels Tue 07-Apr-20 09:34:38

I let mine have the run of the house too, all things not allowed were put away, bathroom doors closed as was my bedroom. and a gate across the kitchen.

Burgerandchipvan Tue 07-Apr-20 11:06:01

I always stay on the same floor (except for a quick nip to the bathroom while he's engrossed in Paw Patrol) but that's mostly because our house isn't the safest!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »