Talk

Advanced search

Toddler Teeth Cleaning

(8 Posts)
SephrinaX Sun 05-Apr-20 10:29:59

DS (2) hates having his teeth brushed. He screams, clenches his jaw shut and spits toothpaste out. It's gotten to the point where I have to practically pin him down to clean them.
He's quite happy to brush his own teeth if I give him the brush, so it's not that he doesn't like the taste or the feeling, but obviously he's not capable of doing them properly himself yet.
Anyone got any hints or tips on how I can make it easier for both of us?

DappledThings Sun 05-Apr-20 13:18:20

I'd just get on with it and ignore the shouting. I have to pin down my 2 year old twice a day to it. Feet under my legs, wrists crossed and clamped in one hand with my other hand taking advantage of the fact she's shouting with her mouth wide open to get the brush in there.

She'll grow out of it eventually and it isn't optional.

DivGirl Sun 05-Apr-20 15:28:29

Mine is pretty compliant now but it's involved lots of pinning him and brushing. It isn't optional, and he quite likes it now.

Mylittlepony374 Sun 05-Apr-20 15:32:24

YouTube. Lots of 'brush your teeth' songs. It was the only way for my toddler from about 18 months to 3 years.

Cacacoisfarraige Sun 05-Apr-20 15:34:52

When mine were young, we used to brush them to make their eyes so shiny ‘it hurt my eyes’ after brushing they’d smile and DH and I would shout ‘my eyes, they’re so shiny’ and we’d cover our eyes. They loved doing it then😂😂

NannyR Sun 05-Apr-20 15:36:37

I wrap them up in a big bath sheet after their bath and hold them on my lap or lay them on the floor. They don't like it but they get over it quickly and tooth brushing is non negotiable in my book.

ReturnofSaturn Sun 05-Apr-20 16:15:56

I still have to totally pin down my kicking and screaming toddler.

Aurelia1313 Tue 07-Apr-20 22:30:30

My DD is 18months and we do the youtube songs, she also loves to brush my teeth so we do each others we make it a silly game making funny noises trying to get her to copy me. We also don't do it at set times she still has night bottles so we just try and do twice a day. I will also totally resort to bribery when she understands it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »