Talk

Advanced search

Will my 15 week old catch DC1s chicken pox? Did yours?

(43 Posts)
Gettingonabitnow Fri 03-Apr-20 08:37:35

Hi

DC1 has severe chicken pox, and DC2 who is 15 weeks has been with DC1 all the time (lockdown).

I’ve read that under three months are unlikely to catch them but just wondered what the reality is. DC2 wasn’t breast feed due to a number of reasons.

I need to brace myself and prepare mentally!

Thanks x

30not13 Fri 03-Apr-20 08:39:43

My dc caught it from a very brief contact at a coffee date with a friends older child. She was 3 months old. Quite poorly. In hospital for 4 days as she was covered in over 300 and some looked infected and they thought she had them in her lungs (she didn't thankfully!)

Gettingonabitnow Fri 03-Apr-20 08:41:53

Oh god that sounds awful, the poor little thing. How soon after did it start, can you remember? I’m waiting and waiting but so far nothing yet fingers crossed 🤞

MirandaWest Fri 03-Apr-20 08:42:07

DD was 4 weeks old when DS got chicken pox. As I was breastfeeding many people said she'd have my immunity.

When she was 6 weeks she got it. She was very spotty but the only main symptom was that she was a bit sleepier.

Gettingonabitnow Fri 03-Apr-20 08:45:42

Ah really, sounds like my DC2 might get it then.

HPandTheNeverEndingBedtime Fri 03-Apr-20 08:46:14

On a happier note, my DBrothers both had it when I was very young, I was taken to chicken pox parties as an older child and DD has had it and I haven't. So it's not a foregone conclusion.

Stock up on chamomileand oats for the bath or to rub over Los skin.

Gettingonabitnow Fri 03-Apr-20 10:50:21

Will do!

Myfriendanxiety Fri 03-Apr-20 10:51:12

My 2 year old had chicken pox when DD was about 10 weeks old. She didn’t catch it. She was breastfed but not sure if that makes a difference.

heyjoeyitsestelle Fri 03-Apr-20 10:52:08

My 11 month old got it exactly 2 weeks after his 5 year old sister. Both had it quite mild though.

whataballbag Fri 03-Apr-20 10:54:02

My 6 year old had chicken pox when DS2 was 6 months. Exclusively breastfed and he got them even worse than his big brother

Gettingonabitnow Fri 03-Apr-20 10:57:45

Thanks

Malteserdiet Fri 03-Apr-20 11:00:41

My 3rd DS was breastfed (just in case you’re worried that makes any difference) and he got it at almost exactly 16 weeks from his 2 yr old brother. The GP wasn’t concerned and actually although he had a good dose and was covered he wasn’t that grumpy and it was almost easier because he wasn’t able to scratch himself. I remember him getting quite hot and the nappy waist irritating him sometimes so he did spend quite a lot of the time naked on a mat where possible.
Lots of people said he might get it again if he had it under 1 but he has been exposed many times and is now 8 and not had it again since.

Gettingonabitnow Fri 03-Apr-20 11:40:23

Sounds like maybe it was good he got it out of the way early then...

tigerwhocametoT Fri 03-Apr-20 11:54:45

My 5 year old DD and 2 year old DS got chicken pox when DS was 11weeks and he didn't catch it. I was breast and bottle feeding him.

dingit Fri 03-Apr-20 12:04:46

Yes my 5 month old did, got it for Xmas bless him. Just a smattering if spots and a bit more grizzly.

ShipshapeShore Fri 03-Apr-20 12:07:51

DD2 was a toddler when DD1 had very spotty chicken pox. She got 2 spots that we probably wouldn't have recognised as chicken pox otherwise!

dementedpixie Fri 03-Apr-20 12:12:49

Ds got it when he was 5½ months old from dd who was 3. He wasn't too bad with it. He did get shingles age 3 though which is more common if they get CP under 1 year

Gettingonabitnow Fri 03-Apr-20 13:51:07

Thanks. I guess only time will tell, every blemish I see I’m like “is this it?!” 🤦‍♀️

Gettingonabitnow Mon 06-Apr-20 07:41:30

Well DC2 has now started being sick after every bottle (small amounts but unusual for her). Is that how it started with your babies at all?

X

newbebe Tue 07-Apr-20 13:58:16

Hi, my 8 week old got it from her sister she was breastfeed, was told she wouldn’t get it, came out 2 weeks after. She had spots mostly on her face, but wasn’t as bad as I thought.

GirlCalledJames Tue 07-Apr-20 14:03:31

You can vaccinate against chickenpox even after exposure.

GirlCalledJames Tue 07-Apr-20 14:04:39

Sorry, just realised the baby is too young to vaccinate.

thereplycamefromanchorage Tue 07-Apr-20 14:08:13

My ds caught it off dd when she was 3, and he was 12 weeks. He was a bit off colour a day or so before the spots appeared. He had quite a lot of spots but got over it pretty quickly - dd seemed to have it worse.

Gettingonabitnow Tue 07-Apr-20 15:00:11

Thanks. I’ll definitely vaccinate DC2 when the times comes if this episode is dodged! She’s very clingy and hot, although the ear thermometer says she’s fine.

X

stardance Tue 07-Apr-20 15:10:39

My DD caught it from DS when she was just under 3 months. She was breastfed too which I was told could help prevent it.

Also our GP told me that if a baby gets it very young they probably won't be immune and can get it again. DD is now 7, has been exposed many times, and hasn't had it again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »