Talk

Advanced search

Making formula upstairs at night

(14 Posts)
crazymuseummumtobe Fri 14-Feb-20 22:19:56

I'm trying to find a way of quickly making up a bottle upstairs at night - to avoid DS1 (12 days today...) getting woken too much by coming downstairs, waiting for bottle to warm from fridge, etc. Would the following work...

1. Take bottles upstairs, right amount of powder already scooped into each bottle.
2. When feed needed, add enough hot water from a thermos to dissolve the powder.
3. Top up to full amount with cooled boiled water to bring temperature of feed down to drinking temperature.

For context, we have a downstairs bathroom, and therefore no taps or sink upstairs.

Thanks.

Shookethtothecore Fri 14-Feb-20 22:21:42

If you can, I would strongly recommend a perfect prep machine. I have used one for my last 2 children with no issues and it solves this problem. Sorry I can’t be much more help

Charmali Fri 14-Feb-20 22:25:06

I used to bring a flask of water up with me (filled using perfect prep) and just make the bottle when needed. It was ready immediately.
I highly recommend the perfect prep. Just fill a flask before you head out and baby can be fed anywhere. I always topped it up with an ounce or two of boiling water and always filled enough for three bottles.
My four year old and one year old were both fed using perfect prep.

mealychump Fri 14-Feb-20 22:25:23

Perfect prep, upstairs smile that's what we did. Get it whilst baby is young, best thing we bought.

In the day I'd make them downstairs with kettle or just Potter upstairs to do so.

moobar Fri 14-Feb-20 22:26:49

Agree with pp. perfect prep without a doubt. I got mine second hand from a friend of a friend, no issues at all.

Another friend uses pre made at night, that can be costly though.

Coffeeandcrumpet Fri 14-Feb-20 22:27:23

The water you put the powder into needs to be over 70degrees to kill and bacteria in the formula itself. So yes in theory your method would work a sling as the water.is hot enough. If you fill the thermos right up to the top it will stay hotter. I would test how hot it stays.

turnedabout Fri 14-Feb-20 22:27:46

I agree with the other poster- get yer self a perfect prep machine - I got mine off gumtree for £25 and it's a godsend.

I have made up the night feed formula bottle using the perfect prep, then put the bottle into one of the Tommy tippee thermal covers (got 2 of them in my local kids stuff barnardos) think they are about £8 to buy new. It keeps it warm for a few hours until feed time. Means you can rest and when baby wakes your feed is right there ready for you. Also got 2 of those plug socket night lights from B&m have one in my room with baby so I can see without turning on the lamp and waking him , put the second one on the landing so I can get down the stairs without turning the light on and waking everyone up.
Good luck OP!

turnedabout Fri 14-Feb-20 22:30:59

Should have said - put tea into your thermos and have a travel mug with a lid for you to have a cuppa during the night / make a wee sandwich fit yourself and a biscuit or two.
It's tough being the Night Manager!

Miniwinnie Fri 14-Feb-20 22:43:36

Definitely a perfect prep machine. It changed my life grin

michellejj Fri 14-Feb-20 22:59:23

Try ready to feed formula? There are small bottles with teats to start with. Then when your baby consumes more per feed, there are 200ml packs which you simply pour in to your bottle.
Compared to the other costs of raising children, this isn't too expensive.

NutterPotter Sat 15-Feb-20 07:14:31

Hot flask for water and the formula stored in powder pots takes seconds to make. Then water not used in his bottle I use to make a coffee whilst feeding him.

MummyOfBoyAndGirl Sat 15-Feb-20 08:44:05

Get a perfect prep. We take ours up to the bedroom at night, you do t have to do this but when sleep deprived it saves time!

iusedtohavechickens Sat 15-Feb-20 09:08:22

We have a microwave in our bedroom for warming nighttime bottles! We put water in bottle and have powder in a pot. Warm in microwave and add milk and give it a really good shake. Our bedroom is on the second floor!

RhymingRabbit3 Sat 15-Feb-20 09:11:37

Your plan would work as long as the thermos keeps it hot enough for long enough. If not you could get a small travel kettle. Congratulation on your baby

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »