Talk

Advanced search

Milk and 1 year old

(5 Posts)
mamatoizzywizzy Fri 14-Feb-20 08:13:10

My daughter turns 1 next week and I have just weaned from breast to bottle .

I understand I can give whole cows milk at 1 year , though have been sticking to formula for the moment as she still isn't convinced by the taste of whole milk yet so still getting her used to this.

That aside , my question to you mummies and daddies is how often do you give your 1 year old milk? Is it just at night time before bed ? Is it morning and nighttime ?

Toastytoes1 Fri 14-Feb-20 08:29:55

Hi,

1 year olds need about 1 pint of milk a day, either full fat cow’s milk or formula and this includes their dairy products so if you put milk on their cereal or they have yogurts or cheeses it all counts. So usually 2 bottles of milk a day is plenty and generally they still like a night time bottle as its comforting and relaxing before bed but its really up to you and your baby when they have it; there’s no right way.

Selfsettling3 Fri 14-Feb-20 08:55:46

1 year old toddlers shouldn’t have a bottle anymore. It’s time to move to a cup. They need 350mg of calcium, thats 3 portions but includes cheese and yoghurts.

mamatoizzywizzy Fri 14-Feb-20 12:43:26

Thank you for your replies I thought that was the amount to give but wasn't sure as I've been so used to "feeding on demand" .
I'll crack with the 2 bottles and see how we get on smile I'm sure over the course of the next few months we will gradually transition from bottle to beaker /cup when my daughter is ready . Thank you

Itsmommy Fri 14-Feb-20 16:34:34

Every 1 yo differs. To reassure, milk/following on milk isn’t ‘needed’ so don’t worry. My DC refused anything related to cow/goat milk or formula/following on milk in a cup or bottle. Was advised that it’s more the iron, calcium and vit d, that are needed which a 1yo can get from diet (if they are a good eater) or liquid vitamin. You can start to offer milk in a bottle morning and bedtime, and see how it goes. Or follow their lead if they start asking for it, say at bedtime. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »