Talk

Advanced search

Can you give baby more than 7oz?

(9 Posts)
Yrmyfavourite Thu 13-Feb-20 23:14:50

4mo is having 7oz every 2.5 hours and still seems hungry straight after bottle. Can I up to 8oz? Guidelines on box (aptamil antireflux) advise 7oz up to 1yo?

Or should I start to introduce some baby rice etc now?

Kanga83 Thu 13-Feb-20 23:22:00

Yes you can. At 4 months he's likely to be having a growth spurt so will up his feeds and either start spacing them slightly more or guzzle for a few days before dropping an oz or two.

Kanga83 Thu 13-Feb-20 23:22:58

Meant to say yes you can give 8oz, no to baby rice yet. Guidelines are 6 months (I started at 5 months as mine were large babies)

Bipbipbipbip Fri 14-Feb-20 07:20:39

Yes you can. My DS sometimes had 10+ Oz when he was 4-6months. Don't forget that they'll actually be having less at 1yo because babies will usually be on 3 meals plus snacks plus milk.

Iliketonamechangealot9876542 Fri 14-Feb-20 07:22:35

Don’t give him baby rice as it has no nutritional content just up the feeds until
The growth spurt passes

Yrmyfavourite Fri 14-Feb-20 07:55:19

Thank you! She happily guzzled almost 9oz this morning so poor thing just have wondered why I wasn’t letting her finish her dinner every day! Will see if she goes longer or starts to have less.

Wasn’t keen on the idea of early weaning so more than happy to up her feeds!

Abouttimemum Fri 14-Feb-20 10:17:38

My DS was having 8oz bottles every few hours through the day until 7 months after he started weaning. He still a hungry boy!!

tempnamechange98765 Fri 14-Feb-20 11:15:07

Yes if she's draining her bottles and feeding regularly definitely up it. I found my DS went through a lot of growth spurts before he was 6 months, and would go through phases of having a whole 8oz bottle then SCREAMING for milk after only about 2 hours, then having another huge bottle! And then a week or so later it would settle and he'd go back to having 6 or 7. Their appetites vary.

GlamGiraffe Fri 14-Feb-20 11:30:50

You might also want yo look at "hungry baby" milk. If you have a really insatiable baby the hungry baby milk is good.
Realistically at 4mo you cant be feeding every couple of hours so your baby isnt feeling full.
Hungry baby formulas contain alginates which thicken the milk in the stomach once it's been drunk meaning it hangs around much longer maintaining the feeling of fullness.
I agree with others that the pack guidelines arent always great and you can hive more than they suggest, but if you are still findingcwoth the increased amount your baby is crying for milk frequently and drinking large amounts I think you should he considering a change of formula. The difference is enormous and you end up with a less fretful baby.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »