Talk

Advanced search

Coping with poop explosions..

(18 Posts)
Cder Wed 12-Feb-20 10:09:59

Every poop my 3m old daughter does seems to “explode” everywhere. It’s not diarrhoea, just runny/grainy. The Dr said it’s normal/consistency is ok for BF baby.
I’m finding this hard to cope with, outfits are ruined every day, her blankets, baby chair, car chair etc needing washed through after every poop. I understand this is part of parenthood but wondering if anyone has any tips? Are any specific nappies better at containing these explosions (currently use pampers size 3)? Also concerned that the poop comes up the front and might end up causing a urine infection. If we’re in the house I can wash her down in the shower - but starting to get anxiety about taking her out because the explosions are so time consuming and messy to clean up.

Any tips or advice appreciated! Thanks in advance smile

Oxfordnono12 Wed 12-Feb-20 10:16:49

I found my BF babies only really pooped more than they pee'd lol.. I couldn't get my head round it, they are so tiny.

I used Asda own brand, I have 4 boys and I tried out all the nappies and found Asda's more manageable. Pampers I found were the worst! Also, I only dressed them if we were heading out, otherwise it was baby grows or a long sleeved vest. I had extra clothing in a bag and basically always prepared for the explosion rather than not. This made me more settled and less anxious.

Congratulations on your little bundle of joy!

novacaneforthepain Wed 12-Feb-20 10:21:50

Oh mine was the same. A child gynaecologist once told me that baby girls bits are so badly designed by nature.

I worried about infections and she never got one.

Don't waste time on nice outfits if it bothers you when they get poop on.

When you introduce food , things will likely change. The first time you see her constipated you will long for these days back grin

Lunafortheloveogod Wed 12-Feb-20 10:23:11

I’d try a different brand of nappy.. I’m not sure if she’s really “big” enough for a size 3 ds is 10months almost 11 months old and he’s in a 4 now so perhaps there’s too much wiggle room.

Pack an explosion kit, we had muslins, a spare pram sheet, face cloths, dettol wipes and a foamy soap wash along with the usual clothes nappies n mats (puppy pads work if you’re out) n a wet bag. Don’t worry about how long you’re taking, you’re only taking that long because you need to and if anyone moans just tell them it’s a poonami not much you can do about it.

Soak outfits in vanish they’ll survive n pop a blanket down in her chair before her n that’ll save washing the whole thing every time.

randomsabreuse Wed 12-Feb-20 10:28:29

I found cloth nappies better for the up to the ears variety - the elastic waist was better than the flat disposable back.

If you can't face full time cloth I used cloth nappy wraps over disposable nappies (or even a 2nd disposable in a bigger size) as a second line of defence.

Make sure vests aren't too tight as that can force poo up the back too.

ineedaholidaynow Wed 12-Feb-20 10:32:28

And don't forget you can pull baby vests down rather than take them off over the head.

Bipbipbipbip Wed 12-Feb-20 12:06:38

I'd try a few different brand of nappies - they fit differently, maybe ask any mum friends rather than having to buy new packs. Nappy wraps might be an good idea as they'd contain some of the mess, especially if you're out and about. And check vests & baby grows aren't too tight as they can cause compression which in turns causes leaks.

pastabest Wed 12-Feb-20 12:21:16

Make sure you pull the frilly bits out round the nappy leg holes.

No one told me that at first, the poo explosions suddenly were better contained once I found out that's what you were supposed to do.

Size three nappies might be slightly too big for a 12 - 16 week old as well?

RhymingRabbit3 Wed 12-Feb-20 12:23:28

Try different sized nappies and different brands. Luckily this part doesnt last long!
Breastfed baby poo washes out pretty well and if it stains it will come out if you hang it somewhere sunny.

Cder Wed 12-Feb-20 13:45:42

Thank you so much everyone! I will look into nappy wraps and maybe try a different brand of disposable (like Asda’s own). It’s mainly the poop going up her back that’s the problem as leaks through and ruins whatever she happens to be sitting in at the time.. Shes quite big for her age so the no2 pampers were too small, wouldn’t fasten around her legs properly and we had even more mess with themsad.
Otherwise sounds like I might have to grin and bare it for another few months grin. I’ll defo try to be more organised with a poop explosion pack and probably just keep her in her onesies if we’re not going out! So. Much. Washing.
Thank you again for your advice, much appreciated and good to know I’m not alone haha.

RightestPersonOnMN Wed 12-Feb-20 13:53:24

Line her chair or whatever with terry squares (squares of towelling fabric, I used them instead of muslins when mine was small donkeys years ago). They are big and thick enough to absorb and protect what is underneath but still skin friendly enough to be comfy for your baby to lie on. Plus, they can be boil washed to keep them nice and clean.

Selfsettling3 Wed 12-Feb-20 16:25:08

Soak the clothes in napisan before washing and her clothes will come out clean and stain free.

upanup Wed 12-Feb-20 16:30:15

I had the same problem with my baby and recently tried the rascal and friends nappies from Tesco and have not had a poop explosion since. They are elastic ages at the back of the waistband so might be worth a try.

snowybean Wed 12-Feb-20 16:38:28

I found Boot's own brand nappies to be better than Pampers. I'd definitely try a few more brands. In sure you're doing it already, but make sure the trough of the nappy is ready to collect her poo, and that her bodysuits/clothes are big enough so the trough doesn't get all squished when you do up the buttons.

Good luck!

tangled2 Wed 12-Feb-20 22:26:12

Another vote for cloth. We've never had a poo explosion even on antibiotics.

ToTravelIsToLive Thu 13-Feb-20 08:12:21

We used pampers pure and they were brilliant. Switched to regular pampers and had leaks. We found Sainsbury's own worked for us too or Tesco own. We switched to cloth at 10 weeks and have had no issues with cloth either

forevercurious Thu 13-Feb-20 10:55:03

We also had issues with pampers nappies leaking a lot, we now use Lidl nappies and generally have no issues with them smile!

ReallyLilyReally Fri 14-Feb-20 14:27:16

Another one for cloth nappies here - only ever had tiny leaks out the side of the legs when she was very small, the rest of the time its all practically watertight!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »